Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 7 November 2021

Happy New Week!

I hope everyone has a healthy, happy week. 

• Lynette D said:
    Turns out I have heart failure so have to go down tomorrow for blood test and ECG and to start taking Furosmide 1/2 tablet at night as long as one in the day

Blimey.  Furosemide at night?  I take that every morning, which means an hour later I can't be far from a toilet!  Sadly I retain fluid on my feet, ankles and calves.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Lynette - So sorry to hear about your diagnosis - but you know what you're dealing with, and it sounds as though the medics are able to find the right medication to make things easier for you. Thoughts and prayers flying your way.

Aids to a good night's sleep ... what a good job we are all different! I like the radio on quietly all night - it doesn't keep me awake, but if I am going through a sleepless phase it keeps me company. During the day I have to do a lot of reading and research - but the only time I have for 'reading for pleasure' is in bed. Sometimes it takes weeks to finish a book - but during a bad sleepless phase I can get through two or three a week! Haven't worn PJs since I was about twelve. I find a nightie is cooler than 'nothing'.

What an amazing forum this is! Thinking back over the topics we discuss - all human life is here! Long may it continue!!
  • Eldest daughter has been here pruning the grape vine. It's a big job which I've been told not to do anymore because it involves a stepladder. Not sure if I like being bossed about but I know they mean well. After all, I've not fallen off a ladder - yet !
  • Lindybird:  I bet we're wearing the same nighties.   I used to buy mine at TJMaxx or in actual department stores, but TJ's hasn't carried anything appealing in years and what few department stores that are still in business carry what I call "old lady" nighties (haha - no old ladies on this thread, right?)  I just got a new one on sale and online from Lands End, which makes plain t-shirt nighties in the softest cotton (Supima).   I like windows open; OH likes them closed.  I like to read in bed with my first cup of coffee each day (anytime after 5:30 a.m.); OH's a night owl and likes to read in bed before he goes to sleep.  Another two reasons for separate bedrooms.    And yes, the schleffera I went after yesterday was easily 20ft tall, but thankfully had very soft wood. I trimmed off the leaves first with a long-handled thingy then sawed through the branches (very soft wood),   Results of this week's efforts are two 3-4' stumps that are as thick as elephant legs with serious roots, so I think I'll be hiring someone to finish the job.  It's also part of 'downsizing' the garden for easier future care.

• A sort of catch-up post but it won’t be fully comprehensive so I hope I don’t offend anyone by leaving you out!

LINDA – no decorations spotted here – but OH did get his free mince pie and coffee in M&S. Also, he has instructions to get a classic Panettone in Aldi before they sell out! Liked your sunrise photos but I am sure that cat in the nest was photoshopped! Glad your OH completed the plumbing repair.

ANNETTE – the quick-start leaflet and online instruction booklet seems to be the way to go these days – must admit I like things properly written down!  Sounds like garden work is very intense - take care!

AQ - glad the key hunt story had an eventually successful outcome! Sorry about his dental problem. J was given an appointment for a small filling June 2020 which was subsequently cancelled due to pandemic risks; he has managed to rearrange for next week – now for two larger fillings! No good trying to rearrange my check-up appointment yet!

HEATHER – sorry about the insulin pump breakage – worrying time. Glad you were sensible about the grapevine this year!

DIANE – thanks for all your thoughtfulness.

LYNETTE – I always think it’s best to have a diagnosis, however worrying, than to be left wondering!

Well, I managed to condense those pages! Now need to email both Daughters! Lots of cleaning going on here – J in lounge and OH in blue shower room.

• I'm rather shocked as I posted a reply just after Pats last post, but now I see it disappeared completely!

OG - It was only after I posted it on here that I thought - that cat could not have got up there .. ... But it made me laugh, anyway!

Annette - Yes, nice nighties in Lands End. Well done on your annihilation of the monster plant.
  • Pat - I agree with you, this is an amazing forum. Long may it last.
  • Evening all: Nothing to report other than above-average temperatures but a cooling trend due in the next day or so. Take care dear friends....
  • This morn OH took his toothache back to dentist. Verdict – antibiotics followed by a choice of root canals (2) or extractions. He has opted for salvage. Later we visited GP. OH has changed to mine and I warned that Doc is thorough – OH came away jabbed for flu, appt for pneumonia next week, another appt for skin cancer removal and a flurry of blood tests. Payback for years of avoidance. I have made my appt for booster jab end of January, 6 months 5 days after second (A-Z). The next will be Pfizer.

HEATHER – I had been saving this quote for someone LOL – 
    Fell off a fifty foot ladder today!! . . . . Thank goodness I was on the first step.

• I like the word “indolence”. It makes my laziness seem classy. (Bern Williams)

English is a funny language. A fat chance and a slim chance are the same thing.

If the English language made any sense, lackadaisical would have something to do with a shortage of flowers. (Doug Larson)