Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 October 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful autumn week. I'm sending healing to all who need it. 

Here's a Fairy Ring (Fairy Circle) that my sister-in-law found in her backyard. ;-) Those are white mushrooms.

• I've just lost a post, CLARE but echo CCs comments. Has LIMPY been seen at an NHS pain clinic?
  • Heather B said:
    Has LIMPY been seen at an NHS pain clinic?

Yes.  They called him late last year to see how he was ..... he told them, very bluntly, that he was feeling suicidal again because of the unrelenting pain.  They managed to bust a gut and got him into hospital at the end of March, to try to inject a steroid into his spinal column in an attempt to lessen the pain.  He did have moments of very slight relief afterwards but the effects wore off very quickly.  I'm pretty sure he hasn't spoken to them since.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare - I know in the main our MPs are a useless bunch but try and get your MP involved and get them to take it up with the Health Secretary.

I am currently working with the Sarcoma  charity to raise awareness particulary with GPs - to recogise the symptons to stop people (mainly young adults) from dying needlessly.

Good luck and don't take no for an answer.

• Hello to everyone else and apologise for being absent but I have had visitors for the last 4 weekends and all of last week (half term) Plus working full time throughout!

I am only at home now as I am waiting in for an engineer to come and fix my boiler. On Sunday the heating suddenly stopped although I do have hot water still.

Last night it was an early bed with a hot water bottle!

• Oh dear, Clare, so sorry to hear about Limpy's ongoing pain. We knew it was bad, but it seemed that the pain killers were working off and on for him a few years ago; it sounds like the pain keeps getting worse. In an ideal world, no one would have constant severe pain of any kind, but we have not arrived at an ideal world and may never, sadly. I hope you and he can arrange for another discussion with a pain clinic and have a better response. If the pain reappears again quickly after a steroid injection, then perhaps immediately get back to them and stress that something else is needed. If you do not immediately get back to them, they will think all is well, which it clearly is not! Of course, a person should not have constant steroid input because too much of it brings other complications. I have no experience of alternative therapies, but we have Chinese friends who swear by acupuncture--I have no idea if it really works, but if the needles are sterilised and everyone wears a mask, it might be worth a try. (And it is not illegal!) Nothing ventured, nothing gained, perhaps?! The situation must be a huge emotional strain for both of you as well as physical pain for Limpy. Our thoughts are with both of you.

Kind regards, Ann

• I hope the engineer comes and your boiler gets fixed before the cold weather is upon us, Harelady.

Clare, there's an article today in the papers about the provision or otherwise of cannabis medications. It's been found that in spite of being legalised for certain conditions, its been blocked, in effect, for most who have applied. So only a tiny minority of children have had the benefit. Those who had it found it changed their lives, plus of course, their families' lives, as they were all affected. Its been championed by the person in charge of the campaigns and policy for Epilepsy Action who said that it was "disappointing that little has changed" . It seems that someone somewhere has their finger on the purse strings as its an extra cost for the NHS to find. Never mind about anyone's quality of life!
  • I don't know if it would cost the NHS extra. If cannabis worked for Limpy that would potentially mean he could come off at least four of his current drugs. He'd also be sleeping better, which would mean he'd be mentally healthier. I'm wondering if certain pharmaceutical companies are resisting change - especially those who sell the morphine.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare:  That's just awful that you can't get legal cannabis. I'd pull out all the stops and, as Harelady suggests, contact your MP as many times as it takes to get his/her attention.. I also agree with Gardenbirder that you let the NHS folks know that the relief from the shot is so short-lived as to be useless. Lindybird mentioned the cost of prescribing cannabis as a possible reason why so few are getting it, but don't these people realize how much they're spending on opiods that not only don't help that much but also have serious adverse effects?  How about picketing the NHS clinic and alerting the local TV station and newspaper too.   Are there any kind of patients' family support groups (Facebook?) that might publicize the situation?  After all, the squeaky wheel, etc.....   Failing that, I'd probably try to get it under the counter too, so to speak.  Here we can buy it over the counter at officially designated stores -  and that's just for recreational purposes; moreover, most stores also have someone on hand as a sort of consultant.  I've never used it, being a wine drinker from way back, but my daughter has tried some for constant/chronic pain in her spine due to arthritis and my perception is that it not only relieves the pain, but perhaps just as significantly relieves the stress and depression that chronic pain causes.  Yikes!  If we can help at all, let us know.   I also wonder if OG wouldn't benefit from it too....

Harelady: Hope you enjoyed all those visitors and that your boiler is up and running again.

AQ;  Lovely quotes - I've buried all kinds of headaches in my garden - more Trump headaches than anything else. Wish I could bury him in the garden, but he's like a particularly pernicious weed....  Maybe a shot of RoundUp would fix him!  :-)

CC:  A singer's mask yet!  Wonders will never cease. I wonder what other creations Covid has enabled.    I love a capella choral song. We had the St. Martin in the Field's group touring here quite often pre-Covid and they're wonderful. Are you focusing on Christmas/holiday hymns/songs?  Yes, that pot roast did look yummy - and probably even better as leftovers...

Heather:  Let me join in wishes for your chatty self to reappear sooner than later.  :-)

OH has a computer fixer coming today.  His computer is slowing down (a bit like OH himself) but I swear it's because he has every program every written - some of them conflicting - loaded on it.  It takes forever to start up and his desktop is chock-a-block with icons....  But what do I know eh?

Better get moving.....

• Feeling great empathy with LIMPY. I have had a couple of better nights. Had to go to Dumfries this morning for my regular hearing aids check - all okay. Started with coffee in King's, and then returned there for lunch (quiche and salad). Also browsed W H Smith for some reduced-price books (limited ourselves to four) - including one for J for Christmas - we are all into autobiographies these days so they get around the three of us. Good thing we made some space on the bookshelves recently.

While we were out, J made himelf lunch, washed up and this afternoon he continued with some house cleaning. OH is now busy making a lamb dinner.