Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 October 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful autumn week. I'm sending healing to all who need it. 

Here's a Fairy Ring (Fairy Circle) that my sister-in-law found in her backyard. ;-) Those are white mushrooms.

• Diane: Thank you! Fairy Circles indeed. :-)

I've had the ironing board up all day but that's it. Not very motivated but really should get moving or there'll be a panic at some point....
  • Thank you DIANE. I hope you have unwound after Editing Stage 1.

Happy Grandparents Day to all with Little People. The last Sunday in October is Grandparents Day in Aussieland.

I went to “real” church this morning after months of live streaming. I did feel strange, masked, no singing, very small congregation, well spaced (I’m not complaining). Sunny day. Soil still soft after rain. Some parts of garden are almost weed free. The winds battered my tomato plant – luckily it was still small enough to survive.

• Grandchildren are like flowers. You never tire of watching them grow.

Grandparents are there to help the child get into mischief they haven’t thought of yet.

My grandkids believe I’m the oldest thing in the world. And after two or three hours with them, I believe it too. (Gene Perret)

• Thank you to Diane for starting us off again. I hope you're resting! and being kind to yourself

Good Morning. Goodness knows what time it is as of course, even though the clocks have changed here, I still woke at my body's usual time .... grr. The newspapers rave about "An extra hour in bed" but my body's system doesn't know that!

Thank you to AQ for the quotes and the good wishes. Now can't resist putting on a cute pic of little Rosie from the other day:

She is an old fashioned little thing,  who looks at you with the wisdom of the very old.  

• Wrote a post then found out that I had been logged out grrrrr. thanks for starting the week Diane.

What a pretty pic. Like you it will take us a few days to adjust esp as Benson doesn't understand this change the clock thing.
  • Sunday morning – baked gingerbread instead of going to church and now starting this as a Word doc to attempt a bit of a catch-up with the end of last week. Had a really awful night and J was unwell too (not related).

AQ – sorry you too had storms and local damage – definitely a global issue!

ANNETTE – oh, yes, nothing wrong with my mattress on the adjustable bed with built-in massage. Flare-ups and increasing pain are just part of life with degenerative conditions, but bad days and nights help one appreciate the good ones between!

CC – I hope you are enjoying the Halloween-free weekend at your friend’s house.

DIANE – pleased part 1 is finished – do get some quality rest. Thanks for starting the new week here this morning – new moon Thursday, I believe. Photo from your S-i-L brings back memories of autumn walks – BTW, how are your niece and nephew?

LINDA – nice to see Rosie picture. Feeling cross with my Grandson who put pics of carved pumpkins on FB this morning – wondering whether he dared show his face in church after that!

DIBNLIB – when we lived in England we were told to blame Scotland for time changes, for the benefit of farmers etc. but I’ve heard more people voice the wish for abolition since we came here! I hope Benson (and other pets on the thread) will settle soon.

Well, I didn’t find much to say after all! Expecting a full week ahead – includes some appointments so hoping the weather will be dryer!
  • Morning all   Our clocks go back next weekend.  Each state has a different rule; some adjust clocks; others don't.   It must really mess up the airlines.  We voted against daylight savings in California two years ago but any actual application of the law seems to have got lost in the Covid backup.

Lindybird. Rosie looks like a very thoughtful and observant little girl.  It's going to be interesting to see how her personality develops. And frankly, old-fashioned sounds like a very good thing these days. :-)

AQ  Thanks for more smiles, I hope you're keeping a list of them because I keep meaning to copy/past my favorites for possible T-shirt application for gifts.  :-))    A part of your garden is weed-free - is that a result of all your efforts?  Don't stop now.   I put some Gopher Hawks in the parkway yesterday to deter the pesky critters, which are attacking the dymondia ground cover.  They haven't been that destructive before and I'm considering ripping it all out, putting down critter-deterring wire and then topping it off with decomposed granite, stones, anything that doesn't require water or too much care.  Sigh.

OG:  Oh crikey, so sorry about the awful nights and increasing problems.  I know some people who are more comfortable sleeping in recliners - they make some amazing ones these days with multiple adjustments; some of them even stand you up!  Why would pumpkins create a problem for nephew at church?  

Did masses of paperwork yesterday and managed to finish the ironing.  Today we're going to put the fans back up in the attic (we barely used them this year) and I'm going to pretend I'm OG and will plan menus for the week!  :-)

• Good luck with the menu planning, Annette. I don't think I could be so disciplined. I generally make up my mind on the day, as my OH has a delicate constitution.

Re the gardening, I have problems with our communal gardens this year. Our gardener has not coped very well with all the growth due to heavy rainfall (among other things).
    A friend has introduced me to someone who has helped out on her communal patch nearby. I met him on his knees, planting bulbs with a large bag of hot chilli powder beside him. Apparently, this is effective for deterring the foxes and squirrels who insist on digging the bulbs up again.
  • LINDA – Rosie is a delightful child. Or have I said that before? A month since our daylight saving change and I am just getting used to it, instead of waking at random times each morning. Sunrise now 6.15am. I hope Doc can answer your questions on anemia.

OG – Not good that you are having sleepless & painful nights. I hope your new Physio finds a solution.

ANNETTE – My back garden is nearly weed-free partly because I have been persistent and more so because the hot weather dried out & retarded new growth. Now my spring bulbs have finished flowering, the garden moves into its “fallow” stage. No point planting flowers as they require too much water in our dry summer. I do have a copy of “my” quotes; mainly to avoid posting the same ones again. In a Word Doc. Oh heck, it’s over 20 pages. . . 

ROSY – Do you think chilli powder would work on an OH who can’t tell the difference between my bulbs and weeds?

• Just a thought

Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes yet. (L M Montgomery)