Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 24 October 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Sorry this new thread is later than usual.

Have a good week, all!

• I have also had problems posting here. Glad that it isn't just me, as my laptop is very old and not working well.

G'daughter is here so rather occupied, but she is going to come to the Apple store with us tomorrow to look for a replacement laptop for me. It helps to have a young person around!

Thanks to all for news.
  • Morning all:  First off, Diane, thank you for starting us off.  I was cross-eyed by the time we got home from shopping. 

Re computers, I spent an hour yesterday at Best Buy looking at laptops for a Xmas present for granddaughter, whose current computer is two days older than God.  Robbo's comment is so true re budget.  Grandaughter doesn't need one with all the bells and whistles for video games, 24-hour nonstop streaming, etc. so I took photos of two 2-in-1's (a Dell and Lenovo) with good RAM, SSD, touchscreen and versatility for future needs and will watch for them to go on sale.   I already got daughter nice little Chromebook for Xmas. And Ms. D got a Chromebook last year when everyone went to online learning.  The really funny thing is that I took Ms. D with me, who then went into raptures when we detoured to look at refrigerators, some costing upwards of $3 thousand dollars, that will photograph the inside of your fridge and send a message to you at the store to remind you what you need!  With others you could knock on a glass door and have the insides light up so you don't have to go to the bother of opening it. Then she dragged me off to inspect new washing machines!  I swear she'll spend her first paycheck on a very high-end appliance.  Having grown up in a house where the cellar was our 'fridge,' I'm aghast at what seem to be totally unnecessary and very expensive options which seem to border on the decadent and are. moreover, too dependent on electronics.  Obviously in full Grinch mode here!  :-)

Lindybird:  I went through battery of tests a while back.  Was convinced I had every nasty, rare and incurable disease under the sun so when I went for results, was somewhat nonplussed when everything came back normal.  "What do you mean?  Normal!"  :-))   I then immediately felt much better.  I also didn't tell the family.  Will be sending positive thoughts your way this week.  EDIT:  Lindybird:  Do you remember that poem you wrote about The Delightful Miss D?  after I posted a photo of D at the ranch where my daughter used to live?  Well, I told you I put the photo and poem together and framed them.  She still has that in her room!   Someone commented to granddaughter that Ms D was "delightful" and gd responded that someone had written a poem about her.  Just wanted you to know that those few minutes it took you to write that are still bringing smiles years later.  ;-)

AQ:  Love that cockroach story. 

• My niece completed the Liverpool marathon today. It was her first ever full marathon and we are thrilled for her. It is such a shame that her dear Mum wasn't there to cheer her on. She would have been so proud of her daughter who was once so obese she could hardly walk the length of a room. I am pleased her sister was there for her.
  • How nice that your niece managed to complete the marathon, Dibnlib - no easy task. You must be very proud of her.

Annette - I'm humbled by the news that the poem has remained on view. I remember enjoying writing it, and being in love with the charming picture of Miss D. I still have a copy of it somewhere. Thank you.
  • dibnlib:  That is brilliant about your niece.

Lindybird:  I don't see that poem and photo going anywhere.....  :-)

• Because of her Mums untimely death my niece was thinking of ducking out of the run. It is only 4 days since the funeral. I am sure she is so pleased she did it. The family do know that when there are downs in her life her solution is to run. I bet she is feeling pretty good this evening. My niece, her sister and friend are treating themselves at "Hard Rock" Manchester this evening before returning home to the central belt tomorrow.
  • Blimey, Dibnlib - your niece has some guts. She should be very proud of herself.