Weekly Chat (non-osprey) Sunday, September 12, 2021

Hallo all!

• Amber with our Eldest, her beloved Daddy. She is tall for seven, and alternates between being a little girl and a grown up who is quite perceptive. 

• My OHs nephew, update: He is in surgery this morning, instead of tomorrow, as someone else was ruled out for today (possibly a covid infection?). He will need a long recovery, I think - he possibly doesn't realise that.
  • Just a quick look-in at the new week!

Loved the lemon face from Amber!

Sorry about the insect bites, especially Pat in Perth - really serious being on your face. Hope you can soon get out of hospital and ready to begin the journey home.

OH did a lot of garden tidying over the weekend, but the weather has definitely turned cooler here, with quite a breeze this morning.
  • ANNETTE I think my niece suddenly decided enough was enough. She started to diet, then going to the gym, and began to enjoy the exercise. Of course not only has she lost weight but gained in confidence as well. Her response to anything problematic and believe you me her Dad- my brother- has put the family through the mill she now goes for a run to help. she is an inspiration and her local fitness club are promoting her as an example.

To those who have been bitten hope you feel better soon and CLARE hope you stay bite free. Where are you off to
  • We're going to Mull. We've been talking about doing it for years but this year seemed to be a good year to stop talking about it and actually do it. I want Limpy to get there before his Parkinson's deteriorates further.
  • Clare, the whole of Mull is beautiful - but there are a few highlights you must not miss! Not going to mention Iona as assume it's on your itinerary. There is a wonderful Eagle Watch group - you must go to one of their locations,. They move quite frequently, but the people in the information office at Craignure, opposite the ferry terminal, are extremely helpful. They can't quite guarantee sightings, but I've never not seen them, usually with a nest and young. Don't know where you're staying, but you should go to Glengorm Castle, right up in the north. The castle is now a conference centre and you can't go in - but there are some lovely views on the four-mile drive from the road and then to the most amazing little cafe with great home-made food. The macaroni cheese is the best I've ever tasted - frequently! You should also try to do the scenic route around the island. If you have only time to do it once, then clockwise, starting at Loch Scridain, is the better - but doing it both ways is best! It's mainly single track roads and perilous hairpins so the person driving doesn't get a lot of chance to look at the views! But well worth the effort. Stop at Calgary and walk on the beach - it's the original Calgary ... the one in Canada was settled by those from Mull who were moved during The Clearances. Beautiful sandy beach - you can walk for miles if you have the energy! Just outside Calgary, still going clockwise, is a lovely little tea room - home made cakes again! Dervaig, with its unique 'pencil' church, is stunning, and you usually see sea eagles there as well. Just outside the town is another tea room attached to a craft shop,. Try to get across to Ulva - a five minute ferry ride to a beautiful little island - with more home made cake! And lots of orchids. If you can get down to Lochdon it's worth the somewhat hairy ride - very beautiful. There's soooooo much more I could tell you about. If you want any more information do just ask. I can talk about Mull for ever!
  • Clare, the whole of Mull is beautiful - but there are a few highlights you must not miss! Not going to mention Iona as assume it's on your itinerary. There is a wonderful Eagle Watch group - you must go to one of their locations,. They move quite frequently, but the people in the information office at Craignure, opposite the ferry terminal, are extremely helpful. They can't quite guarantee sightings, but I've never not seen them, usually with a nest and young. Don't know where you're staying, but you should go to Glengorm Castle, right up in the north. The castle is now a conference centre and you can't go in - but there are some lovely views on the four-mile drive from the road and then to the most amazing little cafe with great home-made food. The macaroni cheese is the best I've ever tasted - frequently! You should also try to do the scenic route around the island. If you have only time to do it once, then clockwise, starting at Loch Scridain, is the better - but doing it both ways is best! It's mainly single track roads and perilous hairpins so the person driving doesn't get a lot of chance to look at the views! But well worth the effort. Stop at Calgary and walk on the beach - it's the original Calgary ... the one in Canada was settled by those from Mull who were moved during The Clearances. Beautiful sandy beach - you can walk for miles if you have the energy! Just outside Calgary, still going clockwise, is a lovely little tea room - home made cakes again! Dervaig, with its unique 'pencil' church, is stunning, and you usually see sea eagles there as well. Just outside the town is another tea room attached to a craft shop,. Try to get across to Ulva - a five minute ferry ride to a beautiful little island - with more home made cake! And lots of orchids. If you can get down to Lochdon it's worth the somewhat hairy ride - very beautiful. There's soooooo much more I could tell you about. If you want any more information do just ask. I can talk about Mull for ever!
  • Biting insects! What horrid experiences, I am so sorry they turned into such drastic medical emergencies. Hoping you both are feeling better, PAT and HARELADY.

LINDY, the lemon face made me laugh, the wonderful spontaneity of kids. We tend to lose it as adults.

ANNETTE, the Shaw Festival was planned a year ago, when we thought it likely the virus would be calmed down. Partly right and partly wrong. We will see The Devil's Disciple by Shaw and The Raven's Curse, a newer play about Poe. Leaving tomorrow for another few days so will need to catch up on the weekend.

CLARE, that is such exciting news. I've heard and seen much about Mull, and would go if ever visiting across the pond. When are you going?
  • Oops = sorry!

Now released - sorry, discharged - from hospital and able to keep both eyes open. Still quite a lot of swelling but getting better all the time. I'm now swallowing dozens of pills every day and will hopefully be able to hit the road possibly tomorrow, but probably Wednesday. Everyone in Perth has been wonderful - can't praise the Perth Royal Infirmary enough. And my B and B hosts have been great. I have known Perth reasonably well for many years but have never seen this 'hidden' charm and friendliness, and great sympathy. No wonder my friend lived here happily for so many years. Mind you, the village just outside Perth where she lived was the family home, so I guess she didn't really have much choice! But I know she enjoyed life up here a lot, especially after living in London for half her life.