Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 August 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, healthy, safe week. 

• DIBNLIB: I'm so very sorry about your OH's Dad. Sending you all strength and comfort during this hard time.

• All: I agree with the original posts about the benefit of Yoga programs in schools. However, the Christian Right in the U.S. fiercely fights any effort to establish or even to allow Yoga, Mindfulness Meditation, or any other practice with roots in Eastern tradition from being taught or used in public schools. I don't know about California (where the culture is different from the rest of the country), but in the Midwest and South, any allowance of those practices in schools swiftly results in angry school board meetings, protests, and expensive lawsuits. 

• PatO: I don't know; I've only seen the chair yoga class listed at our local Y, but I know you can do Downward Dog with a chair while standing.....
  • Diane:  Ms. D learned about the link between deep breathing and relaxation in kindergarten and that was in Arizona (an enlightened teacher!).  

• DIBNLIB - It may be for the best, but still a difficult time for your family. My thoughts & prayers are with you.

CLARE – I enjoyed your wonderful bird pics. Thank you

At certain times of day our Classic Radio station encourages those in lockdown (& anyone) to exercise / dance / march by playing such music. I demo-ed today to OH how Oldies in nursing homes could join in while sitting on a chair. I gave my arms, ankles & feet a workout to Riverdance.

• There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works. (Alan Perlis)

If you have given up trying to open something, tell a four-year-old not to touch it.

Imagine how weird phones would look if your mouth was nowhere near your ears. (Steven Wright)

• Good Morning. A bit grey here, and that's just me, LOL!!! Seriously, it's not much of a weather day here. Still, it doesn't matter what it does really as I've lots to do.

Diane, I'm truly shocked that yoga and meditation teachings would be frowned upon there: here, there are many schools which are teaching mindfulness to children at the beginning of the day and it's been found to be beneficial.

AQ - Loved the quotes today!
  • Unknown said:

All: I agree with the original posts about the benefit of Yoga programs in schools. However, the Christian Right in the U.S. fiercely fights any effort to establish or even to allow Yoga, Mindfulness Meditation, or any other practice with roots in Eastern tradition from being taught or used in public schools. I don't know about California (where the culture is different from the rest of the country), but in the Midwest and South, any allowance of those practices in schools swiftly results in angry school board meetings, protests, and expensive lawsuits. 

Jesus Christ.  Those people are anything but Christian.  Their behaviour reminds me of how the Taliban operates.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks for all your kind thoughts. OH is back home and we will go down together in a few days. OH and his Sister are happy with this advice.
  • You both have my sincere sympathy, Dibnlib. It's been slightly difficult reading for me - my mother died 11 years ago, after a massive stroke and I was the one who told the hospital to let her go with dignity. My older brother simply couldn't bring himself to - the situation was heartbreaking for him. Curiously, our mother had been telling me (not him) for years that under no circumstances was she to ever be in a situation where she would need care for the rest of her life.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.