MANTON BAY – AUGUST 2021 to end of FEBRUARY 2022

Continued from Manton Bay – July 2021.  

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

2021 Season Summary:  On 19 March, Blue 33(11) returned at 12:29 and Maya at 12:52.  Three eggs were laid, #1 on 30 March at 11:45#2 seen on 2 April at 07:34 and #3 on 5 April at 07:05.  Sadly only two eggs hatched, the first on 8 May at 19:51 and the second on 10 May at 19:48, one being unviable.   The chicks were ringed on 19 June.  Chick #1, a male, was fitted with the blue darvic 096 and Chick #2, a female, was fitted with blue 095 . At 54 days old, Blue 096 fledged at 12:12 on 1 July and Blue 095, aged 53 days old, at 11:12 on 2 July.  On 22 August at 09:10, Blue 095 aged 104 days old, set off on migration and 3 minutes later, 09:13, Blue 096 aged 106 days old left.   Maya and Blue 33(11) remained and finally set off - Maya on 30 August and Blue 33(11) the next morning on 31 August.

Webcam/Copyright© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Morning ALL 

33 is still here!!     -      From scroll back:

05:59  33 comes down from the cam post to the nest

just looks around

06:02  33 flies off

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

Video:   Blue 33(11) brief visit to nest - 05:59 to 06:02 on 31 Aug 2021

• 06:18   33 returns

something around as he mantles

unseen threat quickly passes and 33 settles, once more just looking around

06:20   33 flies off

Video:   Blue 33(11) brief visit to nest - 06:18 to 06:20 on 31 Aug 2021

• Good morning, all.  I've now posted the rest of my Rutland Water photos - if anyone would like to see them click here.

• There has been no sign of Maya today or 33 since this morning.   Looks like they have headed off.

And look who has just arrived on the nest lol  

• Awww! They surely must have gone KAREN Otherwise the cormorant would not be taking this liberty
  • I'm having a quick trawl.

31 August

Sea birds - I've called them "gulls" in inverted commas because CLARE wasn't watching over my shoulder to advise me Stuck out tongue winking eye

They were there for up to an hour, this is just one snippet:

Two Cormorants took over for the night - did some joint juggling (wrong word, can't think of the right one):

.A special Thank You to KAREN for running this cam's threads so conscientiously and beautifully for the whole season Heart

• scylla said:
    Sea birds - I've called them "gulls" in inverted commas because CLARE wasn't watching over my shoulder to advise me

You're absolutely correct with gulls.  They are black-headed gulls - but their dark hood won't reappear until late January, at the earliest.

scylla said:
    A special Thank You to KAREN for running this cam's threads so conscientiously and beautifully for the whole season

Absolutely!  That's quite an achievement.

• They didn't waste any time getting their feet under the table or in this case, on the nest!!
    Safe journey to our Osprey's hopefully we will see them again next year.
  • Oh dear, it definitely looks as though the season is fast coming to a close, after so many highs and lows, as ever.

I'd like to add my thanks to Karen too. A magnificent coverage of the season, often on her own, and reporting in such detail. With so many nests now wonderfully coming on-line it is increasingly difficult to keep up. Rutland is my nearest site, but I haven't been for two years now. I have bumped into a number of folk over the years I have occasionally visited which makes it even more special.

I remember the sad sight of Wonky Wing being ousted by 33 in 2015 when Green 5F did not return. But what a success he has proved to be. I think Maya arrived in 2010 as Mrs 5R, so could be 14 or 15 years old now, may be more. I don't know why and what foundation it has, but I have note she is Scottish. How anyone was able to state that I'm not sure, but she too has been wonderful.

Although I have gripes about the lack of info on the other pairs and their off-spring I have to say the camera has been excellent this year.