MANTON BAY – AUGUST 2021 to end of FEBRUARY 2022

Continued from Manton Bay – July 2021.  

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

2021 Season Summary:  On 19 March, Blue 33(11) returned at 12:29 and Maya at 12:52.  Three eggs were laid, #1 on 30 March at 11:45#2 seen on 2 April at 07:34 and #3 on 5 April at 07:05.  Sadly only two eggs hatched, the first on 8 May at 19:51 and the second on 10 May at 19:48, one being unviable.   The chicks were ringed on 19 June.  Chick #1, a male, was fitted with the blue darvic 096 and Chick #2, a female, was fitted with blue 095 . At 54 days old, Blue 096 fledged at 12:12 on 1 July and Blue 095, aged 53 days old, at 11:12 on 2 July.  On 22 August at 09:10, Blue 095 aged 104 days old, set off on migration and 3 minutes later, 09:13, Blue 096 aged 106 days old left.   Maya and Blue 33(11) remained and finally set off - Maya on 30 August and Blue 33(11) the next morning on 31 August.

Webcam/Copyright© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• No Karen our apologies! We have it wrong way round! We were distracted with a very lovely but chatty lady and trying not to be rude by turning our back on her but obviously we have got it wrong! :-( so sorry glad we have you in control at base :-)
    Well that's even better as we now know Maya gets a fish too.
    Just been talking to a volunteer who says 056 been doing some great fishing at the trout farm so good to know he still about!
  • LAM - please, no need to apologise!

My laptop blue screened then crashed and I have been in one major panic as stupid me has not backed up for a couple of weeks so you know what I am about to start of now!!!

But anyway what is of interest is that you saw 33 eating a fish earlier and now we see that Maya has gone and got her own.

Perhaps 33's way of now letting her know it is time for her to be on her way.

Righty I am off to see to a BU. Enjoy the rest of the night and thanks for the info on 056. BFN
  • Thank you Karen for your understanding and sorry to hear your laptop has crashed! Nightmare if you have no back up hope you can get it sorted!
    Yes you are right main thing they both had a fish and think tomorrow looks favourable weather! Perhaps we will get to see the infamous spiral up and heading off!
    Thank you and you enjoy your night too.
  • Just found this post and even sadder to have missed this! Seems it was spectacular :-(But pleased for those who saw it :-) Maybe one day!
    www.facebook.com/.../
  • Ah well, I've come here to catch up, armed with Maya and her supper just in case you'd retired early, KAREN... mighta know'd you'da covered it Hugging

What an interesting read the last few pages have been - thanks so much KAREN and LAM, we're so lucky to have you on site giving us your time.

Super report from Chris Woods on Facebook - I can hardly believe the 2 rivals left within minutes of each other but it seems they did Open mouth

• TThanks for all the newsKAREN and LAM and the poignant description of these precious juvies leaving on FB Maya and 33 have done a great job God speed to 095 and 096 I hope you find a safe niche and make a safe return
  • Morning LAM, Scylla, Patily & ALL

Your last day LAM and perhaps Maya and 33's too!!    Hopefully a good day ahead - enjoy.

Quick scroll back and could not resist this what is, according to the met office, sunrise.  Such a pity no sun / dramatic sky but it just looks so peaceful and what it must be now for Maya and 33

05:59

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• 08:02  Maya arrived on the nest

08:24  Maya has been calling - perhaps 33 is tucking into a large fish?

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

09:01  As I type, Maya is still on the nest 

• Morning Karen, Scylla, Patily and All
    You're welcome Scylla it is a pleasure to be able to give some input to the goings on.
    Thank you for this mornings updates Karen and yes to confirm that 33 does appear to be eating a large fish on the fallen tree! Really pleased that they are still here for our last day Karen but yes agreed they may be off before the end of it!
    Hope you have got laptop up and running again Karen and All is working well for you and us :-)