MANTON BAY – AUGUST 2021 to end of FEBRUARY 2022

Continued from Manton Bay – July 2021.  

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

2021 Season Summary:  On 19 March, Blue 33(11) returned at 12:29 and Maya at 12:52.  Three eggs were laid, #1 on 30 March at 11:45#2 seen on 2 April at 07:34 and #3 on 5 April at 07:05.  Sadly only two eggs hatched, the first on 8 May at 19:51 and the second on 10 May at 19:48, one being unviable.   The chicks were ringed on 19 June.  Chick #1, a male, was fitted with the blue darvic 096 and Chick #2, a female, was fitted with blue 095 . At 54 days old, Blue 096 fledged at 12:12 on 1 July and Blue 095, aged 53 days old, at 11:12 on 2 July.  On 22 August at 09:10, Blue 095 aged 104 days old, set off on migration and 3 minutes later, 09:13, Blue 096 aged 106 days old left.   Maya and Blue 33(11) remained and finally set off - Maya on 30 August and Blue 33(11) the next morning on 31 August.

Webcam/Copyright© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• That's made my day! Thank you Karen for reporting that and what a nice video to watch 096 grabbing the fish, poor hungry boy!
    Going to bed happy now knowing he got a meal too.
    Goodnight Karen we can put our heads on the pillow now.
  • Morning LAM & ALL

It was great to see LAM - just hope he held on to it and enjoyed.  

Meanwhile, so far this morning, just the one visit from 095

06:10   095 is on the nest, calling

06:11  095 flew off -  ENS 

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Thank you for wonderful coverage, KAREN & LAM, with contributions from others... but not from me!  As you know, I try to cover some of the other nests that don't have dedicated curators like you here, KAREN, and SANDRA (LotL),

This morning I was about to pack up when I thought I should catch up here, and it took me a while to realise I was still in July, so I haven't been able to read every page - however, I did see the early stages of the concern re 095/096, and thought when you said that 096 had stayed away for a couple of days that she likely saw him as an intruder since then - but feeling that one is a part of the consensus doesn't make it any easier to watch.

In your video of 096's nifty nabbing of the fish, did you notice how 095 shot after him, right on his tail?  Let's hope she didn't catch him and/or that he didn't drop the fish.

Well I started downloading the MB stream @ 07:12, ENS since then until a Crow family moved in - it looked like Mum, Dad and youngster to me:

Whoever scared them off didn't appear but there was a cambump a few moments later:

I hope I'll be able to help out a bit from now on - thanks again Heart Heart

IMAGICAT

• Morning Karen, Scylla and All
    Hopefully he did hold onto it Karen as we have seen him flying with some big ones and he seems to be more confident than 095 on the wing. Guess we'll know by how hungry he seems today!
    Nice to see you Scylla and you do a great job on all the other nests thank you :-)
  • Thanks Scylla for your kind words, also the captures/updates. I also would add a massive thanks for all you do across the nests - so much appreciated.

And you managed to capture 095 in pursuit!! After 096 grabbed the fish, I thought she was off after him but I could not slow it down to actually confirm so thank you very much for doing so. What a horror she is !!
  • Agree LAM, we will know if he ate should we see him!!  

So far only 095 has been seen this morning. 

12:11   She landed on the nest and stayed for a couple of minutes.  And, as usual - calling!!

Close up 

©  LRWT

• She's looking very big now, prime condition to emigrate.
    Hopefully she'll go in the next few days.

Richard B

• 095 has been on and off the nest constantly calling 

16:08  33 arrives with a smallish fish

095 grabs it but someone - 096 or Maya?  flying by

33 flies off and 095 picks up the fish

she's mantling - unsettled

16:11 soon settled and tucking in

© LRWT

• 16:24   095 becomes agitated, starts wing flapping

and then take off with the fish!

Maya arrives and picks up some of the nest

Maya flies off as 095 returns to the nest

16:27   095 screeching as someone flies by

and she flies off

• 16:27  Maya returns - someone is approaching

It is 096 - he is still here!!

He moves towards Maya looking for fish!

Maya takes off

096 left on the nest

some close ups of 096

096 takes off 

as 095 arrives on the nest

16:29   095 remains guarding

she takes off

16:32  and then back on the nest screeching and mantling!

Throughout - 095 holds on to the fish.

What a carry on!! 

Video:   096 arrives looking for fish and chased off by 095 @ 16:27