MANTON BAY – JULY 2021

Continued from Manton Bay – June 2021.   

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

The season so far:  On 19 March, Blue 33(11) returned at 12:29 and Maya at 12:52.  Three eggs were laid, #1 on 30 March at 11:45,  #2 seen on 2 April at 07:34 and #3 on 5 April at 07:05.  Sadly only two eggs hatched, the first chick on 8 May at 19:51 and the second on 10 May at 19:48, one egg being unviable.   The chicks were ringed on 19 June.  Chick #1, a male, was fitted with the blue darvic 096 and Chick #2, a female, was fitted with blue 095.    

Webcam/Copyright© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• LAM - thanks for all the updates and captures. Sorry to read about the torrential rain - hopefully the weather improves!

Interesting your observation about 095's flying skills. But she has not ventured very much from the nest so hopefully she will do so more in the coming days and they improve.

It was interesting watching Maya on the nest earlier with 095 as it did appear as if she was teaching her a lesson lol But she is happy now off with her fish - just hope she calms down and learns to share!

I am more leaning towards thinking that the fish 096 had was the one he carried from the nest as you mention he has been fish calling however there has been no exchange from Maya or 33 so I am still thinking that the youngsters pick up their food from the nest but I could be wrong and you may very well see 33 go off and get his and 096's tea and deliver it to him on the perch? An interesting one!

Pleased the family is about for you and lots of interest for you both :-)
  • Karen seen by my very own eyes through binoculars! Lol! 33 just flew off tree, dived got fish and flew to 096 on perch and 096 took the fish he is now eating it...... Amazing! That answers our question.on cue. Thank you 33 making sure your lad gets some nosh! :-)
  • Karen it was a smaller fish so he could handle on the perch!
  • LAM - thanks so much for

1) letting us know 096 has had a fish - isn't 33 just fantastic :-) &
    2) that they can exchange on a perch

Brilliant :-)
  • Yes 33 is fantastic he definitely needs to get a fan club going! lol! You're very welcome to all the information we can share! We're freezing cold wet through but it's all been so worth it for such a fantastic day! Possibly the most interesting day yet! Always learning with these marvellous birds they are the best!
  • Oh I would think that 33 already has a huge fan club LAM LOL

Sorry to read you were cold and got soaked but a nice hot shower, meal and a relaxing evening will soon put all the misery behind for as you say it has been worth it!

What a fantastic day and thank you so much for sharing for we would have been wondering about 096 as to where he was and if he was getting fish. These off cam/on the spot reports are so appreciated and as you say it has been a very interesting day and we are always learning.

Have a great evening - I am off now to clean up (all looking good :-) ) and will "talk" tomorrow. BFN

• Thank you Karen and hope that in and amongst all this osprey distraction your decorating looks fantastic! Off to get warmed up and yes talk tomorrow. Have a nice evening too relaxing after all that hard work decorating!
  • I made my comment about being fed off the nest as I recalled this happening in previous years on other nests.
    It's always nice to have a hunch proved correct, but more luck than an intimate knowledge of ospreys. lol

Richard B

• Many thanks to LAM for all hours put into observing the birds.
    It takes so much stress away when you know that, even when things don't look to good, it's actually nowhere near as bad as it seems.

Richard B

• Many thanks Richard you are welcome just a 9hr stint today! Lol. Just left now 096 just had a flight dipped his feet after finishing his fish!