Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 June 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SOLAR ECLIPSE!

I hope everyone has a fun and joyful week!

The Cicadas are now singing their high-pitched, rattle-screeching song from all the trees on my patch. The noise is overwhelming! I've been turning the radio up indoors, because the ebb-and-flow of their continuous screaming becomes mind-numbing. I revere all Earth's creatures, but I'm glad these critters only visit every 17 years.

On Thursday, 10 June, a rare Ring-of-Fire Solar Eclipse will occur. Most people won't be able to see the full eclipse with the fiery ring live, but you can watch a partial eclipse if you go outdoors. The partial eclipse is visible in the U.K. I will see part of the partial. Bjane will see a short partial eclipse. Annette and AQ won't be able to see the eclipse at all, unless you watch it online. 

Insert the name of your nearest town/city in the Eclipse Lookup box on this page for the eclipse times and visibility in your location. The page also provides info about this eclipse. The website, Time and Date, is safe.

You can watch a live stream of the full RING-of-FIRE Eclipse online HERE. Also at Time and Date.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you'll need eye protection if you watch this week's solar eclipse. I'm sure most folks know that eye protection is required for any solar eclipse, but this is a public forum and I felt a responsibility to include the warning.

• Slow site earlier. Another miserable cloudy day. No rain. It all fell in Victoria – they have floods on top of covid lockdown. Dau unhappy as school has yet another pupil-free day. Curious how these days seem to happen before a long weekend.
  • It’s OK if you disagree with me. I can’t force you to be right.

Most of us only ask for advice when we know the answer but want a different one.

Don’t flatter yourself. I only look up to you because I am short.

• Loch Lomond White-Tailed Eagles star on BBC Breakfast this morning, they also mention Ospreys in the area, If the WTE do settle and breed, a nest cam would be great.

• Thanks, Geemeff! I did see the TV item, and was thrilled as I love the Eagles almost as much as the Ospreys!

Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy again here and of course we didn't see even a glimpse of the eclipse yesterday as, as usual it was too cloudy.

Busy here waiting for the Floor Man and packing up at the same time. Trying not to put stuff in the hallway which I usually do in readiness, as anyway its rather taken up with the loo and the pedestal of the hand basin, LOL!! At least The Man should be fairly pleased to see that he won't have to do lots of intricate cutting around the items.

Lovely views of Cornwall on the News today as the G7 Summit gets underway,. Wonder what P. Biden thinks of it all?!
  • AQ - as someone in Aussieland, can you tell me how things are in WA re Covid? Youngest son in law will be going soon for work, off shore and on shore. He has his visa etc. He will have to quarantine for two weeks in a hotel, he says. He's going to be near Perth. I do appreciate how vast your country is....
  • OG - I'm so sorry about your granddaughter. Becoming an excellent practitioner is about so much more than writing academic essays. Believe me, I know ....
  • Morning all:  Yes, as AQ noted, site was very slow last night.

OG:   Dang!.  I hope #2GD's appeal works.  What was the topic of the essay for heaven's sake?  What about the other course work and the hands-on side of midwifery, which would seem to be the important part.  No good sitting writing an essay when a baby is on the way!   Glad your chic new kettle has won approval.  

AQ:  We never had 'pupil free' days at St. Joan of Arc, or teacher-training days either.   Ms. D's school lets out early every Wednesday for some reason.....  Sorry about lack of rain.  We just got bumped into the 'severe drought' category yesterday - and we're only in early June.  What on earth happened to all that wet stuff that fell in the winter of 2019/20?  Sigh.  I like that second saying......so true.

Geemeff:  Thanks so much for the WTE video.  Wow - 8ft is some wingspan!  I like that while they try to 'educate' visitors, there's a hefty fine and possible prison lurking in the background for folks who choose not to be educated.  :-)

• AQ: I like the first quote. One of my flaws as a human being (I have many!) is that I'm always convinced I'm correct. (Because I always am.)
  • I'm always right, too, and over some subjects can get sulky if I can't convince others...

We arrived in Wales alright, after a longer than usual journey due to travelling on a busy Friday, when a lot of folks head across the border to their weekend retreats. That's why we often come here on a Thursday.

Before we left, we had lots to do but at least The Flooring Man arrived mid morning and worked hard. Here is the result, which I had forgotten the pattern of: