Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 June 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SOLAR ECLIPSE!

I hope everyone has a fun and joyful week!

The Cicadas are now singing their high-pitched, rattle-screeching song from all the trees on my patch. The noise is overwhelming! I've been turning the radio up indoors, because the ebb-and-flow of their continuous screaming becomes mind-numbing. I revere all Earth's creatures, but I'm glad these critters only visit every 17 years.

On Thursday, 10 June, a rare Ring-of-Fire Solar Eclipse will occur. Most people won't be able to see the full eclipse with the fiery ring live, but you can watch a partial eclipse if you go outdoors. The partial eclipse is visible in the U.K. I will see part of the partial. Bjane will see a short partial eclipse. Annette and AQ won't be able to see the eclipse at all, unless you watch it online. 

Insert the name of your nearest town/city in the Eclipse Lookup box on this page for the eclipse times and visibility in your location. The page also provides info about this eclipse. The website, Time and Date, is safe.

You can watch a live stream of the full RING-of-FIRE Eclipse online HERE. Also at Time and Date.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you'll need eye protection if you watch this week's solar eclipse. I'm sure most folks know that eye protection is required for any solar eclipse, but this is a public forum and I felt a responsibility to include the warning.

• Dibnlib: sorry you've had a few swearywords over trying to post pics. Sometimes mine won't post so I go back to them and trim the edges a bit, it seems to help. Especially if they are somewhat dark pictures, must have more pixels in them or something.

Annette, have a lovely meal out.

OG - Enjoy your new kettle!

• Annette: Do you know what THIS was? It's all over the news media in California. Even the mayor of San Diego doesn't know. USGS says it wasn't an earthquake.  :-)

• Just a thought

Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever. (Walt Disney)

• Good Morning. Cloudy here after a warm night. Much excitement in The News as P. Biden arrives for the G7 summit in Cornwall. Much disruption to locals and holidaymakers, as its such a tiny place they've come to.

Diane, can't see your link but can see its described as a strange "boom" noise.

AQ - A lovely quote today. Hope things are OK with you.
  • Lindy: Sorry! You may be able to see THIS SITE, the main San Diego newspaper. Yes, there was a massive boom and hard shaking of the earth, all the way from north San Diego, California to Tijuana, Mexico. The U. S. Geological Survey says that it was not an earthquake. The media are calling it a "skyquake" (whatever that is?). This same event happened in February, in March, and for a third time on Tuesday of this week. No government officials have been able to provide an explanation. The mayor of San Diego has promised to pass along any info he receives. SoCal folks are starting to get spooked because it really shook houses. This current article suggests that it may have come from heavy artillery fire from a local military base, however when the same event occurred IN MARCH, the military denied any role in the shaking and the boom. 

• Very strange, DIANE. Have you any thoughts on it?
    Well, folks, our family weekend was good. We couldn't all be together at once but all four of my children saw each other at some point. It was all garden visits. On Sunday, I just got overwhelmed by the laughter and chatter and had to retreat inside a few times. I can only think that it's because of living such a quiet life for the last year or so. OG, it was just my son who came.
    Son is now at home but has developed cellulitis in one leg. He's on powerful ABs and is bandaged from ankle to knee. There was talk of sepsis etc so I do hope that he will pick up soon. He is very overweight and has developed Type 2 diabetes. How I wish that he would look after himself a bit better...
  • HEATHER: The San Diego area has a bunch of Navy and Marine military bases. If I had to guess, I'd say there's a good chance one of them is testing some highly classified, prototype weaponry.

I'm so glad that you all enjoyed a good family weekend. I can empathize with your being overwhelmed. I'm becoming increasingly introverted, and I find people to be exhausting. I don't have much family left, I'm no longer close with long-time friends in Indianapolis, and I don't have much in common--including personal values--with the people in my community here.

I'm so sorry about your son's condition. I hope he will recover soon. I know sepsis is serious.
  • All: The Time and Date website is showing some beautiful footage of the Ring-of-Fire eclipse right now.

•   Finally managed to post a pic of our beautiful azalea

• Wonder if the even better pic will post? The answer is no!!