DYFI DAILY OBS & CAPTURES - JUNE to SEPTEMBER 2021

Telyn & Idris are raising 2 healthy osplets, #1 & #3, following the accidental suffocation of #2.

Update - end July

Dysynni

Ystwyth

Almost synchronised ruffle:

IMAGICAT

• Dsynni on Monty's perch with fishbrought by Idris ystwyth on the nest shouting that she wants one too
  • MC. A Heads up. Check out 0744. Osprey and Red Kite perched down by the river.
  • Mike B said:
    MC. A Heads up. Check out 0744. Osprey and Red Kite perched down by the river.

Funnily enough I've just decided to catch up on Dyfi and I saw Ems report that in chat - and there's a new pinned post:

I shall now have a trawl thru what I've got, but won't have time to continue where I left off.

IMAGICAT

• 23 August

Per Chat - Cam will turn off on 12 September, will be back on in March.  Doesn't time fly?

First in was Idris with fish:

He took it to the nest for Dysynni:

He ate some and took it up to Monty's perch, whereupon Idris flew off.

Later, as flagged by MIKE, a Red Kite joined one of our family down by the river - too far away for clarity, and the sun came out for snaps 2 and 3.

1: Osp and Red Kite

2: Another Osp flies in and displaces Kite

3: Second Osp gets settled.

IMAGICAT

• I just got severely digressed, scrollng thru DOP FB's pics from way back when.

Nora waiting for Monty 2012

©Dyfi Osprey Project

©Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust

IMAGICAT

• Currently:

And I'm packing up.  SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• Oh my ! Telyn gone - more gloom. Safe safe journey precious one and favourable winds all the way.

Scylla, since I lost so may Osprey folders and photos when I had to have a 'new' PC all my pics of Nora were lost, sigh. so thank you so very very much for those above of her
  • Unknown said:
    all my pics of Nora were lost, sigh. so thank you so very very much for those above of her

I never got to know Nora very well but thought that she often didn't take a good picture - but those 2 above are very lovely, IMHO.

IMAGICAT

• Lovely pics of Nora--thanks, Scylla. I would love to have known Nora, but did not start watching Osprey nests until 2013, the year Glesni took over the vacant spot at the Dyfi nest with the now much missed Monty. However, I do wonder if the tragedies of Nora's last year might have put me off watching Ospreys if I had seen all of that! Luckily, we know that the Rutland females who followed her at Dyfi all carry some of the same genes that Nora had. Glesni, Telyn, Blue 24 and apparently also 5F/Seren (nesting this year and last at Clywedog) are all first cousins of each other and Nora is Auntie to all of them. Information on Seren is from a recently published family tree on one of the Facebook pages (possibly Friends of Dyfi Osprey Project) which goes back a generation earlier than I'd previously seen, to a nest in Scotland from which 2 birds were taken to be transported to Rutland and both siblings contributed to the ongoing Rutland gene pool.

Kind regards, Ann

• 490 with fish & sibbling 491

490 & sibbling 491 who took over the fish

Both on nest perch bar

491 on Monty's pole