Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 23 May 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON 

and

HAPPY TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE!

A total lunar eclipse will occur this week. AQ will be able to see the entire eclipse from start to finish! Annette will see both the partial and total eclipse. I will see a partial eclipse. I'm so sorry, UK folks, you will need to stream it online, which is still a good show. You can live stream it HERE at the Time and Date YouTube site. 

Insert your location at the Time and Date website to see when to watch the eclipse in your time zone. For most of us, it will happen on 26 May, Wednesday. You can find info and answers to questions at the NASA site.

I hope everyone has a beautiful summery week and finds some joy!!!

Here are the eclipse times in UTC time.

• Forgot to say. We heard our first cuckoo in many years while we were walking round Loch an Eilein.
  • I've been making full use of my National Trust membership over the last couple of days. Yesterday was Sheffield Park - not very warm, but at least dry. Some paths were closed because of mud, Had a good walk and discovered some new places because we couldn't use some of our 'usual' paths. Picnic lunch in the cricket pavilion, out of the wind, Very enjoyable. Today Scotney Castle with another friend. She had never been before and I really enjoyed sharing one of my favourite NT places with her. Warm and sunny all day - at last! Only the ground floor of the house was open - so we will need to go back when the rest is open - such great views from the first floor rooms.

At both places I was disappointed with the azaleas and rhododendrons. I guess it's all down to the weather which, let's face it, has been dire. Both places are usually a riot of colour at this time of year, but although there are patches of colour, the predominant shade is green rather than pink and lilac and yellow and orange and ... Too much rain, too many late frosts, too much wind. The bonus this year has been that the bluebells have lasted far longer than usual, and been wonderful - they obviously like rain and frost!

Tomorrow it's back to Zoom meetings for most of the day - but hey. I've had the best part of two days away from the computer so I'm really not complaining!

Poor Bonnie - hope she can get her halo off soon.

Hope everyone is keeping fit and well, and being able to enjoy the better weather. The forecast says we are due more over the weekend - and it's Bank Holiday so that's a real bonus!
  • Lindybird, they think she caught it coming back from a holiday last year and not at the hospital where she worked.
    She was off for at least 3 months and tried to go back but was just so fatigued. In the end she decided to retire which was on the cards, just a little earlier than planned. Now enjoying retirement to a certain extent.OG - she probably will but sometimes you just have to take the leap of faith, sensibly of course. It will do her good to meet up with a dear friend, plus a birthday meal tomorrow evening at the hotel where they were married.

Poor Bonnie but hopefully all will heal and she will be back to her normal self soon.

OG - pleased to hear you seem a little better.
  • Sounds as if you've really enjoyed yourself, Pat: nice that you can share your days out with friends. I agree about the azaleas- ours are only looking good for a short time, then going soggy because all the petals are wet.

Dibnlib - Glad you heard a cuckoo. We've not heard one for years, it's very sad to think that they're becoming rare.
  • Lynette:  I have a friend in Kansas City who has long Covid.  She's lost chunks o hair and had terrible lung problems that seem to have improved greatly.  Hope the kids have a good visit with your SiL's OH.

PatO'   Sounds like a lovely few days out.  

Lots of puttering and sorting things out in the garage today.  It's a holiday weekend here (Memorial Day) and apparently people are planning trip, mostly to the National Parks but we'll be sticking close to home.

• If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail. (Fran Lebowitz)

Until one has loved an animal a part of one’s soul remains unawakened. (Anatole France)

Free puppies – Half cocker spaniel, half sneaky neighbour’s dog. (newspaper advert)

• Good Morning. A bit grey but better weather promised for today - yesterday the sun finally came out.

Lots to sort out before our exciting guests arrive tomorrow. Took notes last night on Amber's present food preferences. We have also booked a Sunday lunchtime slot for a meal out.

Lynette - you must have come on while I was writing. Hope your daughter soon recovers from her unpleasant experience.
  • Diane -- Forgot to say, of course we couldn't see the eclipse here but I watched a little of it online. The moon from here was an interesting pinky orange colour, and seemed very bright.
  • Reading and Thank you all for keeping me sane !
    Daughter has the keys to her new rental, move day is tomorrow and I am doing what a mother does best, listening, listening and more listening ! My children are all in their forties and fifties, but right now I think we're in a time slip - 'she said this, she did that, why has she done ( or not done) the other thing'. It feels the same as in their childhood days ....