LOCH GARTEN Daily Obs & Captures MAY 2021

On the 15th of March the 360 cam went live and an Osprey landed on the nest.  It didn't take too long for a pair to begin bonding:

Male: BlueAX6 "Axel" - Ringed at a nest in Glen Affric on 1st July 2016, he was the only survivor of 3 eggs.

Female: Unringed "Mistle" - a very beautiful specimen, according to our long view.

(Unofficial names - LG will decide on names if deemed appropriate.)

This inexperienced couple is bonding well - Axel has been a good provider, they're both enthusiastic nestbuilders, the only element that requires more work is the mating technique.

EDIT 01 JUNE - Axel & Mistle deserted the nest in May, apparently spooked by intruders.  As there has been very little activity since then, this thread will continue to the end of the 2021 season, unless dictated otherwise by ospreys.

Photo ©RSPB LochGarten

Cam info kindly provided by Peter @ Carnyx.tv:

There is an identical camera and microphone on this nest as the HD camera at Llyn Clywedog (Osprey). However the nest was struck by lightning. This took out the camera, the camera power supply and the WiFi link back to the centre. We managed to replace the power supply and Wifi but it was too late in the season to climb to the nest.

IMAGICAT

• That’s very interesting Sheila, thank you. I did wonder if there had been human intrusion because I have definitely heard people talking but as to how close they are I couldn’t speculate, noise travels and maybe the microphone on the cam exaggerates noises.
  • The centre is where the blue star is in this OS map and the scale is shown in bottom left for distance.

I can’t remember how far the nest is from the centre but I’m sure someone here might. Either way, I think the noise would carry as it’s not very far. Thinking

• Good to see the fellow on the nest, albeit for a flying visit!
    Shame you missed seeing the Osprey Korky, hope you are having a fab time at LG.
    I am also surprised by the above tweet, any noise or disturbance will be heard on the nest, it is very near to the Loch.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Possibly not, But it's not far. The car park and entrance kiosk are by the road and a ten minute stroll to the VC?? In the peace and quiet noise does carry. I think that if osprey flew over the VC they would fly towards the Loch. Others more familiar with the area may be able to comment?

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• There is a loch with Ospreys about 20 miles away and there are lots of canoeists etc right underneath. I am always surprised it seems to have no intereference
  • SheilaFE said:
    Possibly not, But it's not far. The car park and entrance kiosk are by the road and a ten minute stroll to the VC?? In the peace and quiet noise does carry. I think that if osprey flew over the VC they would fly towards the Loch. Others more familiar with the area may be able to comment?

Exactly Sheila - especially your comment about 'in the peace and quiet noise does carry.' I have lost track of the number of times volunteers reported being on the 6 - 10 evening shift and hearing a 'bang' while they were in the Forward Hide, so went down the path to the road to investigate, only to discover that it had been caused by someone slamming a car door in the car park. Noise carries even better over water so any shouts from canoiests would be bound to be heard by birds on the nest, without doubt. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• David Dickie said:
    There is a loch with Ospreys about 20 miles away and there are lots of canoeists etc right underneath. I am always surprised it seems to have no intereference

Loch Insh? Ian

• I think you are probably right, Ian. There is also Lochter with watersport activity, although I think the birds have now left after a number of years of intrusion and chicks taken, by buzzards.
    The pair at Loch Insh have been there some time and will be accustomed to the noise, unlike our new pair.
    A wet ENS.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• The cam had a look around a few minutes ago, no-one found.

I'm packing up now - such a shame when there's so much going on - on other nests!

IMAGICAT

• No-one seen up to 06:00.  It looks dry and not windy.

IMAGICAT