LOCH GARTEN Daily Obs & Captures MAY 2021

On the 15th of March the 360 cam went live and an Osprey landed on the nest.  It didn't take too long for a pair to begin bonding:

Male: BlueAX6 "Axel" - Ringed at a nest in Glen Affric on 1st July 2016, he was the only survivor of 3 eggs.

Female: Unringed "Mistle" - a very beautiful specimen, according to our long view.

(Unofficial names - LG will decide on names if deemed appropriate.)

This inexperienced couple is bonding well - Axel has been a good provider, they're both enthusiastic nestbuilders, the only element that requires more work is the mating technique.

EDIT 01 JUNE - Axel & Mistle deserted the nest in May, apparently spooked by intruders.  As there has been very little activity since then, this thread will continue to the end of the 2021 season, unless dictated otherwise by ospreys.

Photo ©RSPB LochGarten

Cam info kindly provided by Peter @ Carnyx.tv:

There is an identical camera and microphone on this nest as the HD camera at Llyn Clywedog (Osprey). However the nest was struck by lightning. This took out the camera, the camera power supply and the WiFi link back to the centre. We managed to replace the power supply and Wifi but it was too late in the season to climb to the nest.

• I am feeling so despondent this morning. The past couple of weeks had been so positive even in the early morning yesterday, Seeing Mistle sink into the nest cup ca 05.30 for what seemed to be trying it out for size - but then to suddenly get up and fly quickly - what that an intruder?
    It seemed odd at the time. Axel attempted to mate at 06.00, but Mistle walked down the side of the nest and he got off. Was she upset about something unseen, and unreceptive? And yet they stood companionably together, looking like an established pair just after that.
    The subsequent lack either on the nest - apart from Axel for just a minute just after midday - until the fish delivery at 18.15 was unusual after Sunday's constant appearances. The fish delivery or more to the point, Mistle's fast return with it just ten minutes after she had flown yesterday evening was odd too. She wasn't prepared to hand it over, so why did she return to the nest?  Were intruders around again?

No early morning appearance this morning. What is going on? We need folk with bins on the ground!!

Thank you for the news of an intruder this morning. It looked quite at home and not at all wary!! From a distance I thought, yes! it's Mistle, but the close-up showed it wasn't. These bibs are so difficult to decide sex. I think Axel is quite dark for a male, the intruder struck me as female by size, despite the coloured bib but with no other to compare I'm not sure I'd put my bob on it!

I am mystified about what is going on.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I feel problems started a couple of days back when Mistle looked like she was getting prepared to lay and was then upset by persistent intruder(s). Axel was missing and she seemed to be left to fend for herself for quite some time. Of course this could be totally wrong, as you need to be on the ground watching.
  • That's very true Jane.  I've just been thru Scylla's resume of y'day again.  Last evening's intrusions were quite intense, but it is very odd that neither has been back today.

The cam has a good search of the area trying to spot either of them, left and right and back again, but to no avail.

There was nearly half an hour of scanning the area - it's wet too

• No obvious sign of anyone since 11.18 above

• How worrying and disappointing when we were all so pleased and excited about this pair
  • How worrying and disappointing when we were all so pleased and excited about this pair
  • scylla said:
    6th May post

I'm packing up now, I shall be worrying about poor Mistle, who may be wanting to lay an egg and might even reabsorb it and that might be her season over. How's that for paranoia?

SYAL.

I’m starting to wonder if you weren’t paranoid at all Scylla.

• SheilaFE said:
    I am feeling so despondent this morning.

I think you speak for all of us, SHEILA Cry

A short movie of this morning's visitor - unringed male, quite clearly.  And it's not as if he did anything except dabble briefly with a stick.

• Thank you Scylla.  He looked pretty pleased with himself!

It is so depressing after such a good start. I wonder whether they have found another nest somewhere near.

I can't get over how odd it is that both of them should just disappear like this. Just not to appear at all is really weird, and I can offer no explanation. We need an expert!