LOCH GARTEN Daily Obs & Captures MAY 2021

On the 15th of March the 360 cam went live and an Osprey landed on the nest.  It didn't take too long for a pair to begin bonding:

Male: BlueAX6 "Axel" - Ringed at a nest in Glen Affric on 1st July 2016, he was the only survivor of 3 eggs.

Female: Unringed "Mistle" - a very beautiful specimen, according to our long view.

(Unofficial names - LG will decide on names if deemed appropriate.)

This inexperienced couple is bonding well - Axel has been a good provider, they're both enthusiastic nestbuilders, the only element that requires more work is the mating technique.

EDIT 01 JUNE - Axel & Mistle deserted the nest in May, apparently spooked by intruders.  As there has been very little activity since then, this thread will continue to the end of the 2021 season, unless dictated otherwise by ospreys.

Photo ©RSPB LochGarten

Cam info kindly provided by Peter @ Carnyx.tv:

There is an identical camera and microphone on this nest as the HD camera at Llyn Clywedog (Osprey). However the nest was struck by lightning. This took out the camera, the camera power supply and the WiFi link back to the centre. We managed to replace the power supply and Wifi but it was too late in the season to climb to the nest.

IMAGICAT

• Queen Mistle awaits a fish, showing her unusually lovely marking. Only a few chirps heard from her.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Well that was a bit quicker.  She does look so pretty, doesn't she CC.  

Mistle seems to have spent most of the day alone on the nest, with some time off it.  Starting from 1030 she was in lovely sunshine, just pottering and moving the furniture around.  Half an hour later she flew off.  Most of her 'fly-offs' have been to the top right.  She returned from one of these at 12.38 with a long licheny stick, started calling gently but half-heartedly.  These toe-and froes have continued for most of the afternoon with her bringing in the odd stick, pottering on the nest moving a sick hither and thither, building up the sides.  We really wont see what's going on if/when she lays eggs at this rate.

On one of her forays someone at the VC panned briefly across the boggy area to the right and back, then zoomed further covering the nest and the perch tree and beyond.

14.04 she returned, chipping.  Intruder?  She appeared to come from a small stand of threes at two o'clock.  She landed on the nest but whether there was someone around I don't know.

The afternoon was again flying off, returning with a chirrup or two, or a stick!

16.00 and the appearance of Axel!  Where has he been all day?  There were two failed mating attempts - but two beautifully fanned tails on top of each other LOL

16.56  Axel returned, continuing to faux mantle, and moving sticks while Mistel gave him a rollocking while he mantled and wandered around the nest!!    17.57.31 he flew and returned to mate.  That attempt might have been successful.. 

She has now become quiet, and he hasn't returned.  Fishing?

I have to say I'm not sure I would recognise Axel at the moment, apart from his ring - if I can read it!  He needs to be around more!

A few snip taken

She seemed to fly in from the trese bottom right

As she landed

Looking lovely.  Did she spot the treecam?

They both arrived together from the left.  Has he been around all day?

Axel fails, but lovely tail feathers of them both!

More time on her own

Axel returns, faux mantling, yet again, and Mistle begins to get quite vocal!!  "Fish time!"

Mistle prowls around the back of him, calling

Until he's has enough and flies - has he taken the hint or just wants a bit of peace and quiet.  You will have to get used to that noise, Axel!!

She did continue calling for a while, but is now quiet.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Axel returns fishless.

potters and flies off and attempts to mate again...Yess, I thinking that is a tick!

I find it a bit difficult to catch the moment, but this will be as close as I can get

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Tuned in to see the end of a good mating.

Thanks, Sheila. Added to your reports and pics I think it means he has begun to get the hang of it! Unfortunately, I gotta go.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• SheilaFE said:
    16.00 and the appearance of Axel!  Where has he been all day?  There were two failed mating attempts - but two beautifully fanned tails on top of each other

Many thanks Sheila for your detailed report. I think they had a successful mating this morning. Axel will certainly have to step up his game by way of his presence  if/when Mistle lays eggs. But I remain hopeful. She seems calm and collected.

• just tuned in after a busy week at work...

She's SO beautiful... her neck markings are just stunning... love her...

The nest has really grown over the last week, and looks very different...

Dare I say she looks REALLY fluffed up and very broody @cringer
  • I have no problems about you daring to say anything! Thanks to Sheila for her great summary of the day. @Henry - I agree.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Hey Henry how’s it going, she’s a Bonny looking bird ain’t she, like someone else we know.

Les Carr

• She's fish calling. Something, I think Axel, zipped past the nest five minutes ago. He may be chowing down, in sight