LOCH GARTEN Daily Obs & Captures MAY 2021

On the 15th of March the 360 cam went live and an Osprey landed on the nest.  It didn't take too long for a pair to begin bonding:

Male: BlueAX6 "Axel" - Ringed at a nest in Glen Affric on 1st July 2016, he was the only survivor of 3 eggs.

Female: Unringed "Mistle" - a very beautiful specimen, according to our long view.

(Unofficial names - LG will decide on names if deemed appropriate.)

This inexperienced couple is bonding well - Axel has been a good provider, they're both enthusiastic nestbuilders, the only element that requires more work is the mating technique.

EDIT 01 JUNE - Axel & Mistle deserted the nest in May, apparently spooked by intruders.  As there has been very little activity since then, this thread will continue to the end of the 2021 season, unless dictated otherwise by ospreys.

Photo ©RSPB LochGarten

Cam info kindly provided by Peter @ Carnyx.tv:

There is an identical camera and microphone on this nest as the HD camera at Llyn Clywedog (Osprey). However the nest was struck by lightning. This took out the camera, the camera power supply and the WiFi link back to the centre. We managed to replace the power supply and Wifi but it was too late in the season to climb to the nest.

IMAGICAT

• I have to show willing elsewhere. BBL

She flew 10.51

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Mistle calling insistently for fish on a snow filled nest. No sound, however.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• A slight catch up.  MIstle flew 10.52 and we had an empty nest until the cam scanned

Is this the Love Tree- middle bottom with the flat bough, or the Fish Tree?  I can't remember

back to the nest

No one on the nest tree perches

Or the camtree dead tree perches

11.20 back to the nest, and Mistle has landed

Preening

1205 Axel landed, closely followed by Mistle

Axel moved to the left, his tail is seen

the cam moved

and Mistle called, loudly, Axel ignores her

12.98  Axel flies off

Mistle calls

12.48 She continues to call, so Axel isn't fishing.  Pah!!  I do hope we don't have another George

• Axel returned, fishless, to mate

Which was very half hearted and he left 12.50

• I was wondering when the last fish was brought in. I think it was two days ago!!

4 May 0903 Axel brought a whole fish in. Mistle flew off with it.
    11.58 Unseen intruder. Axel defends
    11.11 Mistle returnes with the fish. Axel eyes it, but makes no move
    11.18 Mistle flew off with the fish
    11.27 Axel defends the nest
    11.42 Mistle returns, Axel lands on her, successful mating
    What happened to the fish here?
    Lots more mating attempts, mostly unsuccessful
    12.05 Eagle-eyed Scylla posted a pic of it on the far side of the nest
    12.30 Axel flew off with it.

I can't see any reports of further deliveries, but there might of course been one?

• Thanks for the summary Sheila! I haven't seen a fish since yesterday's reports, but Mistle has stopped calling so perhaps Axel is trying his best to find one for her. Fingers crossed. Snow is melting.

Fish tree or Love tree? I am not certain either since I was often confused back then, too! They both had horizontal branches.

• ENS. Snow is almost all gone from the nest. She has been busy rearranging branches.

• Oh dear, all that snow, poor Mistle looks quite bewildered! As for Axel it is high time he went and fished, snow or not, the water will not be frozen, he can still see to dive and get her one!! It will melt pretty quick and hopefully a fish delivery soon will keep the girl happy and then who knows, egg to be laid?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• She is back in the nest cup, not calling but looking about. The patience of ospreys...

• she back

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here