Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 25 April 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON! 

The moon turns full at:

4:31 a.m. on Tuesday, 27 April in the U.K.
8:31 p.m. on Monday, 26 April in California
1:01 p.m. on Tuesday, 27 April in Adelaide, Australia
10:31 p.m. on Monday, 26 April in Iowa (for bjane). 

This "supermoon" will be closer to Earth than any of the other full moons this year, except for the May moon (which will be only 98 miles closer). So, this one should be beautiful!

I hope you all have a wonderful, safe week.

• J’s saga continues. Phone rang this morning – woman who was to phone at 10 was held up with another client – would phone at 11 if he felt well enough to be assessed. 11:15 someone phoned, she couldn’t do it, he is being transferred “to a different district” – erm, what? – someone will phone in a couple of days. Then postie brought the letter to tell him the phone call was today! This is a health assessment of someone suffering from anxiety, with physical and mental causes!

LINDA – I don’t see my grandchildren or greatgrandchildren from one year to the next, but it doesn’t make me go berserk with friends and neighbours! It really is a horrible scenario – thinking of poor Sue and Boris. Pleased you have made some progress with the new device. We shall still be watching for rain and making sure it reaches everywhere – today is about 50% bright and 50% dull – cooler, but no rain yet.

AQ – glad the meal out went mostly okay – difficult for you when your OH just can’t decide. I hope you will get “somewhere posher” next week and he could maybe look at the menu online before you go. I am glad I am alright to daydream – needn’t feel guilty about it!

Receipt has arrived from kitchen fitters - OH has chosen now - this minute - to try to sort out things he thinks are wrong!

• Morning all:  Please send some of your rain here.  They're saying we could be looking at another year of really bad fires...

AQ;  OG beat me to the suggestion that OH check the menu online before you go out again and I definitely like the idea of 'posher.'

OG:  Geez Louise.  Guaranteed to make an anxious person even more anxious!  What I don't understand is why whoever-they-are are sending letters to tell you about an impending phone call.  Why not just call to arrange it in the first place?    So inefficient.   Hope you got the kitchen folk sorted out.

• OG - It does sound rather inefficient. I hope the call comes through eventually & J can have his assessment.

Drier here, and we went to another town this morning where there is a huge supermarket. My OH wanted to stock up on booze & cheap petrol and I had fun (!??) browsing the many aisles looking at what was on offer. I bought some hay fever relief & eye drops amongst the groceries. Thankfully my hay fever is not so bad today. I'm now awaiting delivery of some knee supports after being unable to find suitable ones in local shops.
  • My list of indications that you are ageing:

The empty spaces once on your bedside table are now all taken up with medications, night creams & various eye glasses.

The list of contacts on your phone is headed by Doctor, Dentist, Optician and Police!

You look into the bathroom mirror first thing and see your own mother looking back at you.....

When you study a menu you avoid things which are going to stick in your teeth.

You and your nearest & dearest have to join forces to work out what the little figures on lists of instructions mean when assembling anything new, be it a big piece of furniture or a new mobile phone.

You hear yourself saying things which your parents used to say, such as "Why is the print on this packaging so small?" You also have to turn over any food packet at least 3 times to find the cooking instructions.

You buy a new microwave with two large knobs on it for the controls, rather than one with a stupid lit up panel and tiny bright buttons, then find that neither of the knobs has any grooves on them, so if you have greasy or wet hands it will NOT turn.

Your children begin to say "You're not getting any younger, you know!" when you say it takes ages to do something. 

You discover that today is the 70th birthday of your twin cousins who when you were much younger, you always regarded as the babies of the family....

• Lindybird: Some of those really hit home. Booze and cheap petrol sounds like a good way to kickstart a shopping trip. :-)
  • Lindybird said:
    You discover that today is the 70th birthday of your twin cousins who when you were much younger, you always regarded as the babies of the family....

Just out of interest, Lindy, how old is the Awful Cousin?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Unknown said:
    J’s saga continues. Phone rang this morning – woman who was to phone at 10 was held up with another client – would phone at 11 if he felt well enough to be assessed. 11:15 someone phoned, she couldn’t do it, he is being transferred “to a different district” – erm, what? – someone will phone in a couple of days. Then postie brought the letter to tell him the phone call was today! This is a health assessment of someone suffering from anxiety, with physical and mental causes!

That is absolutely diabolical.  It's bad enough having to claim financial help without the people responsible for organising it showing they couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare: The twin cousins are mine, sons of my mother's big sister.

The Awful Cousin is daughter of my OH's uncle. She is about 83 now and we are hoping will be too old by the time the virus has stopped disrupting things, to come here ever again. What a shame!!!!!
  • Have had lots of conversations with Sue, and we both decided that her neighbour is a toxic woman. So tonight I wrote a short ditty about her, beginning "Toxic Tottie... " LOL!
  • OG & ANNETTE – I had already beaten you both to the suggestion. I had discussed and shown the menu online before we went out. It made no difference, he couldn't decide then or later. Apparently at lunch he says “same as last time”.

Lovely sunny morning. I spent a short time in garden, planting half a dozen daffys and a dozen anemones. I was about to uproot some feral violets when I realized the tiny leaves were new shoots of last year’s ranuculi. Oops. Once upon a time I had a small patch of violets. Now they have spread all over, through the lawn, through every other plant. Drat em.