Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 April 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The moon turns new on Sunday night/Monday morning in UK and US. I hope everyone has a safe, healthy week and finds some moments of joy. 

Here in Indiana, everyone is walking the woods and the fields searching the ground for morel mushrooms! It's a highly anticipated rite of spring here, and the mushrooms are very tasty! 

Morel Mushroom with Snails
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Warren Bielenberg/NPS
Photo labeled "Public domain" (copyright free)

• PAT – I like your new version. It makes sense to me! With no books, the room must be thin….

OG – I wanted to hit the “Dislike” button re your failed surgery visit. Better luck next time. . . or next car.

ANNETTE – Not exactly “countryside”, just suburbs with lots of roadworks & detours <sigh> and I was only out a mere 1½ hours. Chauffeur Friend & her OH are both unwell. They are visiting so many medicos, too many chances of catching something. Likewise I declare bus trips too risky. If I can get the vaccine next month & second in Jul-Aug, I hope to be able to do some trips in (our) spring. Keeping in mind that one can still catch covid; the jab just reduces one’s chances of dying from it.

LINDA – A blouse in a garden centre??? And wot, no shoes!!!

• Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world. (Marilyn Monroe)

A woman can never have enough shoes. (Kajai Aggarwal)

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change a girl’s life.

• OG how upsetting and frustrating for you. The new car will be arriving soon and not before time it seems. I'm looking forward to reading about it and what can do !
    Sorry no more just now but I will catch up .
    Just about to go in shower before eldest daughter arrives. Youngest family are joining us for lunch outside as we are now allowed to travel outside our local authority area. Middle daughter is upset that because of numbers, she and Amy can't join us. Maybe next Saturday, all being well. I'm having to exercise my skills (!) of diplomacy , middle and youngest daughter have always enjoyed or endured a fair degree of sibling rivalry.

• I am proud to be British and a veteran. RIP sir. I thought todays funeral was beautifully done, so glad the weather stayed nice.
  • AQ:  Are you sure you got the source of the quote on not having too many shoes correct?   Not Lindybird then?  :-)  Oh too bad about friend and I didn't realize you hadn't yet had the vaccine. Yes, I know you can still get it and here we're still wearing masks when out and about, but you can then hang out/travel? with other who've had it too  

Heather: Good luck with the siblings.

Thought the funeral was perfect: Simple, restrained, etc. and the acoustics in St. George's Chapel are brilliant which made that tiny choir of four sound like scores of  voices.  Lovely choice of music and reading.  I do think the Brits do this kind of thing much better than anyone else.   I watched it on Fox here (a strident voice for Trump when he was allegedly President so not one of my usual channels by a long shot), but they broadcast the whole thing with no ads interrupting and most of the time managed to limit the commentary.   Poor old Queenie.   .  

• I also wanted to hit the dislike button on OGs post! We need more buttons!! LOL!!

AQ - -love the quotes on shoes (of course) . My gravestone had better have "Be prepared- pack more shoes....!"
  • I thought the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral was just perfect. The music was lovely, and those four singers did a wonderful job. My first tear came with 'I Vow to Thee, My Country' - and another with 'Nimrod' - and another with the piper. In fact I think my eyes were moist throughout. I agree with dibnlib - I'm proud to be British, we do these things so well. I felt so much for The Queen - sitting there all alone. I can't imagine what was going through her mind. And so pleased the weather was kind as well. It's been said of others, but I think we may never see his like again. Certainly my respect for him has grown recently, as we have found out - or been reminded of - so many amazing things he did, often behind the scenes.
  • I'm just watching it as I recorded it due to family visit. I did come indoors for the silence, though.
    I agree, I've been quite tearful...
  • Broke off to serve & eat a beef joint we roasted. Had a glass of wine with it, and toasted the life of the Duke before we began. I watched all of the funeral, and agreed with Huw Edwards who said afterwards that the pared down service had a dignity and a powerful simplicity. Very sad to see HM Queen sitting so alone, though.

We certainly do these events impressively. My heart was in my mouth when those poor pall bearers had to carry that heavy lead lined coffin up all the steep steps.