Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 April 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The moon turns new on Sunday night/Monday morning in UK and US. I hope everyone has a safe, healthy week and finds some moments of joy. 

Here in Indiana, everyone is walking the woods and the fields searching the ground for morel mushrooms! It's a highly anticipated rite of spring here, and the mushrooms are very tasty! 

Morel Mushroom with Snails
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Warren Bielenberg/NPS
Photo labeled "Public domain" (copyright free)

• Thanks, folk !
    I wasn't going to tell my offspring but a friend said that I should. After that the phone kept ringing ( I have four children). It got to the point where I picked up the phone each time and instead of saying Hello, said ' I'm alive!'.
  • I had composed a fuller reply in WORD but it is refusing to copy.

Basically, I just said the men went to Dumfries this morning and J was signed off by the orthoptist - they will keep his records and she is writing to the neurologist with a couple of anomalies she noticed and she thinks should be recorderd. J is very pleased to be finished with one department now.

Oh , HEATHER - you can't do something like that and keep it from your family! Do rest and take care.
  • OG - That's a little bit of good news for J, anyway. I agree that Heather should tell her family, even if it means they fuss a little after hearing about it.

I took a walk in dead of night
    Wearing 'jamas with elastic
    I nearly gave myself a fright
    When I tripped the light fantastic!

A ballroom dancer I can be
    And light upon my feet
    But when I tried it in the dark
    My heart, it missed a beat.

The stairs which were there yesterday
    Had gone off for a break
    My bruises are the proof of that:
    And Oh! my head now aches!

(Sorry to make light of your fall, but hope it cheers you up!)
  • LINDY- Brilliant ! And I am looking on the bright side :-) Thank you...
  • Diane:  Thank you for the bear 'hug.'  Incidentally, read an article yesterday about a gray wolf, tagged OR-93, first spotted on the Southern Oregon/Northern California border, who has made his way down to the Central Coast and could arrive in Santa Barbara County in the next few weeks.  He's the first one seen in this area in more than 200 years, which doesn't bode well if he's on the lookout for a mate.  Story here if you've nothing else to read! :-)  https://www.noozhawk.com/article/lone_gray_wolf_from_oregon_travels_to_san_luis_obispo_county

Heather:  Had a long chat with my UK sister yesterday and the topic of just how much we share with our offspring came up.  We tend to be with you if only because the ensuing concerned phone calls from multiple family members, while appreciated, typically end up with some kind of admonition about what we should/should not be doing.  I didn't tell the kids when I was waiting for the results of the CT scan before surgery on Friday because it was late in the evening and there didn't seem much point in disrupting their evenings about something that was likely going to be sorted in fairly quick order and about which they could do nothing anyway.  Spoke to them on Saturday morning after the discharge papers were filed and OH was coming to pick me up.  My sister's current example is a major leak in their roof that has damaged the ceiling in one of the bedrooms. They're keeping quiet about it because they don't want to hear about how they should have sold the house years ago (Hindsight and all that. They tried; got an offer but the buyers backed out, then the Brexit fiasco hung everything up, then Covid arrived).   Of course, I'm also wondering what those odd noises were, but I seem to remember you have an alarm system in the house??   :-)

OG: Glad J is cleared from one doc.

SunnyKate:  Your snowman story had me wondering whether I should like it or be offended, which is the situation we all find ourselves in these days.  :-)

Clare:  I also had a pillow on my tum - the nurses said it would help relieve any discomfort from coughing, but maybe they were just being kind.  :-)    Must've felt wonderful to swim again.

Lindybird:  A poem for every occasion I see!  Hope you have a good trip to Wales - the change will be lovely.

Breakfast is calling....

• Just was looking at really stunning winners of the Scottish Landscape Photography's 2021 competition. slpoty.co.uk/.../
  • They are stunning, Annette. Thanks for the link. Hope you're feeling a little better.

Pat, I don't feel exactly like one of a "herd" but it's good to know that there has been such a huge drop in serious infections and deaths. Let's hope it goes on being good news. Surely it must, as the figures for those of us who've had both jabs now grows daily.

SunnyKate: Forgot to say, loved your funny snowman piece!! :-D

• HEATHER & ANNETTE – Our offspring’s concerns must be payback for all the times we worried about them. . .

Today is cool (low 20s & windy) and wet (nothing registered in airport gauge but we had a sprinkle). Definitely not suitable for weeding LOL.

• "Why do you insist on taking only a local anaesthetic?" asked the surgeon.
    "Because I believe in patronising home products," answered the public-spirited patient.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. . . A lemon a day means you are drinking too much gin.

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you’re ugly too. (Rodney Dangerfield)

• Good Morning, hoping that both Annette and Heather both feel a little more human today.

It's very cold here again (minus 1, AQ!) and a light frost. I awoke before the heating came on, which certainly woke me up some more as I got out of bed!

Yesterday I got my prescriptions sorted out, and bought a knee "tube" support to help my weak knee. Then we went to have a coffee with Sue, who has just got a new sofa from the man who lives next door - he was throwing it out even though it is perfectly good, so she advertised and sold hers, which she had been finding uncomfortable. Edit: He gave it,  and a matching armchair to her for nothing, and they are lovely cream leather. He had a skip full of furniture outside his house - such waste- why didn't he give them to those in need?