Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 April 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The moon turns new on Sunday night/Monday morning in UK and US. I hope everyone has a safe, healthy week and finds some moments of joy. 

Here in Indiana, everyone is walking the woods and the fields searching the ground for morel mushrooms! It's a highly anticipated rite of spring here, and the mushrooms are very tasty! 

Morel Mushroom with Snails
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Warren Bielenberg/NPS
Photo labeled "Public domain" (copyright free)

• Morning all: I've been AWOL for a day - went to docs with unusual creaking in right lower quadrant Friday morning, only to find my appendix was well on its way to causing real trouble. Was sent off to the lovely little hospital across the freeway for keyhole surgery late last evening and home at lunchtime today. They blow you up like the Goodyear blimp for those kinds of ops and I'm sore less from incisions than from all the inflation. I could float away so taking regular little walks to help alleviate all that.

Lots of coverage of Prince Phillip's passing today, including the rather sweet speech by Charles.

Will catch up in the next day or so.
  • ANNETTE - I'm so glad that things were sorted out rapidly. Do take care x
  • Oh, Annette! I'm sorry about your appendix trouble. I hope your discomfort will abate immediately and you'll be fully recovered as soon as possible. Take it easy and rest. Read and watch TV. They didn't keep you long, so don't hesitate to contact them if you need help. Take care of yourself! 

• Thanks DIANE for starting us off. I liked looking for mushrooms when a child – we had a special spot under gum trees on our farm. But I disliked the cooked mushies – my mother turned them into black gunk. Even now I really only like tiny tiny champignons.

ANNETTE – Well, that’s what I call upselling. “Do you want fries with that? An appendix removed?” Amazing how quick you are back on your feet. For mine many, ahem, decades ago, I was in hospital for 10 days, mostly in bed. Take it slowly as you recover.

The news of PP’s passing reached us mid-Friday evening (our time). The late news on the channel I was watching had no mention (latest news pre-recorded?) but OH came in to tell me. Since then the media has been wall-to-wall with tributes & memories. I thanked PP for removing the endless covid coverage – the latest caused by possible blood clots in under-50s with the A-Z jab.

• Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young. (Arthur Wing Pinero)

Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years. (Ausonius)

It is not how old you are, but how you are old. (Jules Renard)

• Annette -- Gosh, that's a surprise. Not a pleasant one, for you, but thank goodness you got prompt attention. I hope you can rest as advised, and will soon recover. Take care xx

AQ - Very apt quotes for the moment.

Diane, thank you for starting us off again. Be safe in the bad weather I see you're expecting. My father loved mushrooms but I too, hated to see them, black in the frying pan. Now I love them.
  • LINDA - Thank you for your comments on my quotes, now and previous. I often change at last minute what I planned to post as appropriate or otherwise to events & other’s posts. It keeps me “on my toes”. BTW Have an enjoyable visit to Wales and I hope your drive is safe – here lockdowns have brought out more-than-usual bad behaviour on roads.

• Thank you AQ - we have noticed that there are a lot more bad tempered people around, in general, since the lock downs got on some people's nerves. Also, I have been touched by kindness and have done my best to be kind, in turn.

The sun has come out brightly here but there are still cold temps. A frost last night which was not predicted by the weatherman has not done our blossoms any good! Our Youngest celebrates his birthday today, how can he be the age he is? It seems like only ten years since I held him and decided on his name.
  • Adding to what has been said - maybe even repeating the words of others - Queen Elizabeth is unlikely to give up. Her whole life has been one of duty and service. There may be further re-shuffling of who does what among the competent Royals, but can't guess any likely changes especially with Harry having left and Andrew having a shadow hanging over him. We all knew that HRH Prince Philip would not live long, but it was still a huge shock to everyone to lose him now. I am furious about the waste of resources in the flowers being left in the sun outside the Castle gates - the family appealed to the public not to do this and to leave their messages in the online Book of Condolence and donate to one of the Duke's charities, or one of their own choice.

I didn't come in the study yesterday. I was busy with paperwork and planning, but all over the dining table. E-E went outside to prepare the Veg Border (the other "Veg Patch" is now full). Within minutes he was back indoors - the blue sky was now grey and chucking down a mix of snow and hail! It didn't last long, but the temperature had dropped considerably and he did some church paperwork instead. Today's weather is variable.

DIANE - thanks for the new week. I hope you got that shopping done on Friday, and thet the weather isn't too extreme.

ANNETTE - well! That was a big surprise! All dealt with very fast and I wish you a speedy recovery - but do take care and listen to your body. It may be just a keyhole, but is still serious.

Everyone - enjoy today, and take time to ponder and remember.
  • My goodness ANNETTE that all sounds a bit brutal. Glad you are back home safe and sound.

Yes, there has been non stop "Duke of Edinburgh" since Friday lunchtime and a great many lovely things said about him. OH met him when he was the manager of Sumburgh airport in Shetland. Princess Anne also stopped off there en route.