Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 April 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE WHO CELEBRATES

I hope you all have a joyful Sunday and a healthy, safe week!

A sunlit Easter Bunny delivering eggs 
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Chelsi Burns/USFWS
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

• Easter lunch was delicious – roast pork, hasselback potatoes, pumpkin, carrot, beans & with all the trimmings apple sauce, gravy & lots of crackling. My pork was the well-done crunchy outside slices that I love. All cooked by s-i-l. Dau made choc & currant fritters for dessert. Tasty. Very popular with the girls as normally the family don’t have dessert. It was a lovely time. The girls are encouraged to talk about what they have done / what they like / etc. I’m not always “up with” the latest fad but I try to look interested & not confused. I can always ask Dau later!

I am no longer used to driving so far (it is a 45 min drive each way). Alas by the time we returned home I was exhausted. Toast for tea and I was too tired to sleep. Somehow I snatched a few hours here & there and this morn I feel “ordinary tired”. OH normally snoozes every afternoon but he stayed awake until early bedtime.

I took the almost finished fronts of 3 knitted vests to measure. The girls have grown!!! More cms to knit. I had better finish before they sprout more! Lots of hugs and cuddles. As we left, even Toby lined up for a pat.

• I always wondered how in Goldilocks, the same serving of porridge could be too hot, too cold and just right at the same time.

It's a sunny morning in the Big Forest and the Bear family are just waking up.
    Baby Bear goes downstairs and sits in his small chair at the table. He looks into his small bowl. It is empty.
    "Who's been eating my porridge?" he squeaks.
    Daddy Bear arrives at the table and sits in his big chair. He looks into his big bowl. It is also empty.
    "Who's been eating my porridge?" he roars.
    Mummy Bear puts her head through the serving hatch from the kitchen and screams, "For God's sake, how many times do we have to go through this? I haven't made the porridge yet!"

• AQ:
    That sounds like a thoroughly lovely day. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy your family.
    (45 minutes would be a long drive for me. My supermarket is about 30 minutes each way, and I find that trip very stressful.)
  • Evening all: Nice late breakfast with mimosas with daughter who arrived this morning. A lazy day for all and nice weather (like the porridge): not too hot, not too cold, just right! :-)

AQ; So glad you enjoyed the family. Regardless of the drive, social occasions are exhausting, especially after a year of isolation.

OG;  Those pink blossoms certainly look like cherry blossoms but they don't bear fruit - we mostly get the fruit from Washington state.

A busy day tomorrow; so have a good Monday all.

• Good Morning. Looks/feels very cold here, as promised by the weather lady. My OH has upset stomach but I don't know if he just ate too much lamb last night.

AQ - Your family visit sounds lovely  but I think I would be tired, too, after all the fun & excitement of seeing everyone. Just have a lazy day today & rest.

The phone company gave me an "upgrade & update" so my heart sank: every time I learn something techy and get familiar with it, it gets changed. Grr. Already my mobile is vibrating when I press the keys which is somewhat disconcerting. Wonder what else they've done?

• Goodness, quiet on here. Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine. I've been on the phone, and also tidying round. Bonnie brings a lot of something which seems like sand in, on her feet, even though my OH wipes them if they're muddy or even dunks each foot into a bucket of water if necessary. But it seems to turn to dust everywhere, even on the surfaces in the dining room which is off the conservatory where she comes in from the garden. One of the trials of having a pet. We have put a brown speckled carpet down so that its not too obvious!!

Meant to say, that sounded like a gorgeous Easter meal from your daughter, AQ - I would have been in the queue for that! How children grow. Doesn't seem five minutes since your youngest granddaughters were just toddlers and now they're growing up fast.

Got my suitcase which we use for Wales out of the loft space, and its already half full of clothes as I empty the rails there of a lot of things so that they don't get damp in the winter. Will have to have a review of what I need and if anything can go.... I keep things for years "just in case" and the caravan is no exception.

Still beautiful sunshine here and the birdies are all very excited and chasing one another round. Not much interest shown in the alpaca wool which I hung up for them to line their nests, perhaps they are still a bit wary of it.
  • Your Easter lunch sounds delicious AQ. It would have been lovely to spend precious time with the girls, they grow up so quickly.
    LINDY - It's so good to read that you are going to Wales. I hope that the caravan is in good order and that you enjoy setting it up again for what I hope will be the first of many visits this year !
    ANNETTE - I had to Google mimosa and immediately wanted one. I think I'm a lost cause !

We had snow overnight and a few flurries since but nothing drastic. It is sunny at present but only 3 degrees outside. My son in law gave my back garden grass it's first cut yesterday.
  • I fancied the sound of mimosas, too.  I like Bellinis, which are Prosecco with peach juice.

My OH said that it was trying to snow here at 7.30am when he took Bonnie for her walk. But it must have given up trying as I never saw any. Very bright sun now but a flippin' cold wind.

• Hello, on Easter Monday. Had a good Easter Day on Sunday: EE went to help with the service in church which was also zoomed. J and I didn’t watch, but we did have some good theological and ecclesiastical discussions here at home. We had pizza for lunch, a relaxing afternoon and an almost Christmas dinner in the evening. Instead of getting out a game, we took everything out of the games drawers and sorted out a boxful for the charity shop when it reopens. The drawers still look full because it was harder to tessellate the smaller number because of the various shapes.

I know there is snow in the North and family in C Durham have some too, but here it is still bright sunshine and a very cold breeze. OH is now outside planting a row of peas, but we are mostly relaxing again, ready for a busy few weeks.

Thanks for all the post already this week, and especially
    Diane for starting us off.
    Linda for all the photos. That is a beautiful Amaryllis/Hippeastrum – unusual colour. I see the suitcases are out – guess that you will soon be counting shoes!
    AQ for the description of that lovely family lunch party – I hope you have been resting today!
    Annette – so glad you saw Whales.
    Heather – I hope the grass will not suffer from being mowed in frosty weather!

Must go and do whatever I am supposed to be doing! Will keep trying to be more consistent on here – and everywhere! I have got up well the last three mornings, so that is progress.
  • Good that you have progress, even if it's slow, OG.

Good job my OH is not very observant, as I bought some shoes in a sale a couple of weeks ago.... Got said suitcase out, but haven't opened it yet. Will be glad to get various boxes of stuff out of our spare room including huge bag full of bedlinen & several jigsaws, all to go back to Wales.