MANTON BAY - APRIL 2021

Continued from Manton Bay – March 2021

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

The season so far:

Mar 19:  Blue 33(11) returned @ 12:29 

Mar 19:  Maya returned @ 12:54

Mar 30:  Egg #1 laid @ 11:45 

Webcam/Copyright:  © Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Cam movement just now!!

surroundings

looks like they are trying to zoom in on 33

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Decided to change hides as hoping still to catch 33 fishing so in opposite in wigeon hide!
    Also looks like Abi practicing with camera like I asked her and said we don't mind if she gets it wrong just crack on :-)
  • Hi LAM - I hope 33 obliges - both for you and Maya :-)

It was good of you to ask her as now is the time for them to get behind the controls when there isn't much happening.

And as you say, of course no one will mind if she gets it wrong - practice makes perfect!
  • 33 arrives and although he is wet, I cannot see anything in talon

Maya flies off and 33 takes over

• Just a quick comfort break for Maya who has returned and nudges 33 off the eggs.

Maya settles and 33 flies off

Hopefully 33 has gone fishing and is successful 

• Hi Karen hope so saw him about 30 mins ago attempt again but failed. Hopefully before we have to go in about 30 mins! Cannot see him in this hide so relying on him coming into this bay to fish! Picture of the view from this hide looking towards waderscape and shallow water hide to right hand side.

• Hi LAM - must be really difficult conditions for we all know he is a superb hunter, in fact one of the best imo.

He may take off to the fish farm as I believe he has fished there a few times. But for your sake, hopefully he does manage to catch something in the bay as I would like you to see before you leave.

My brother, all being well, is booked up to fish Rutland Water end of May. He always jokes that he hopes 33 leaves some trout for them LOL But in all honestly, I think he is pea green with what 33 pulls out.

Thanks for the photo as you know I enjoy seeing the photos of their surroundings. My brother when on a previous fishing trip sailed up the bay (there is actually a ledge that stops boats getting too near the nest) and grabbed a few photos from the boat. I was laughing as he was amazed at the racket they made.

I do hope to visit Rutland one day but as well as restrictions, I have a lovely dog who is now getting on in years and I need to look after her. Now I must go and feed her.

It does appear to have been cold but I do hope you have enjoyed your day. Have a safe journey home.

BFN

• Thank you Karen.
    We didn't see him get the fish but hope he does head off to easier fishing for him as he deserves it after all his efforts. I too think if he can't get one no one can :-)
    Aww you could take the dog with you as they are allowed at Rutland and in hides too on the lead so if she would travel you're sorted. I hope you can get as you deserve it for all the effort you put in on this thread.
    We'll it's bye for now to the lovely osprey couple and when we back again there should be another family they are bringing up and we'll supply further on the spot reports.
  • Thanks LAM :-) 

My 11.5 year old lab does travel well but she is now slowing down and not walking as far so would probably be too much for her.    Just old age which I suppose comes to us all :-)

But I am quite content to spend time with her especially getting fantastic reports from yourself and others who visit.     I always say, I will get there one day :-)

I am just watching Maya calling - I think 33 has a fish and will be in soon.   

Always the way as I suspect you have not long left!!