GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• I haven't been able to watch for a while but I see that Aeron is/was on the perch, with Aran (probably) protesting from the nest. Both gone now.

IMAGICAT

• It's been fun scrolling thru this morning's action or inaction on the nest, but I'm useless at going back hours to get the actual time, so thank you Scylla, you have covered it beautifully with a timeline.

ca 06.42 Aran landed - day and night cam kept switching for quite a while

Early morning golden sunshine

07.05 ish  Aran showing off his wing

ca 11.26 an intruder is around and landed on the nest  Aeron Z2 

Aran landed and Aeron Z2 flew.  Intruder still around

12.03 A ringed bird landed on the perch, Aran landed on the nest and there was loud defence chipping going on off cam, which presumably was Z2. 

Aran lands and sees KA3 away

Zooming in and scolling back, it was KA3 Hesgyn, paying another visit. 

ca 12.05 Aran returns to the nest - throughout this excitement, Aran has been holding on to a tail end of fish.  He even had time to take a bite or two

12:06 Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn WildlifeMrs G has a flounder on the oak perch

Enough of a pause to take a bite

Not long after this ca 12.25 Aran flew off.  It is all quiet now.  Z2/Aeron has seen KA3/Hesgny off.

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I was just feeling guilty for not continuing the narrative so here I am with a snap and lo & behold! what a lot of snaps, SHEILA - thank you for the lovely surprise!

Well here's my snap of Aran with fish on the perch, that's all I need to do:

IMAGICAT

• I've been out, and the chat doesn't go far back, but the VC said

15:09  Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife  KA3/Hesgyn landed shortly after Aran replaced Z2 on the perch.

• Thanks again, SHEILA! I'm doing some "last seen" research so I'll hastily report here that Aran has been on 'n off the nest since a while ago. He's "on" at the mo.

IMAGICAT

• mrs G and Aran still here Aran just flew to a bouncy branch on the trees to the right

C BGGW

• I could watch all day but sadly I have to go
  • What lovely captures of Mrs G, Patily, thank you.

An early pic as night/day cam is trying to decide which it wants on - the morning mist snaking its way between the stands of trees. and the robin is singing.

Time approx!!  05.54 Aran flies in

Looking for Mrs G

ca 06.15  Aran flew off, Mrs G arrived

ca 06.57 Aran joins Mrs G

06.58 Mrs G chats to Aran then flies, and returns to the perch

ca 07.05 Aran joins Mrs G on the perch, awww!

ca 0740 Aran flew to the nest

07.45 Aran flew to the oak tree

07.48  Mrs G remained on the perch

preening

ca 0815 Aran returned to the nest

ca 08.16 Aran flew "to the lookout tree"

MrsG in the haze of midges (which don't show up in a snip!)

ca 08.43  Aran atop his lookout tree - at least I assume that's the tree the VC referred to earlier!

ca 09.00 a stretch before she flew off.  The cam went in search of either, and found neither!

Gail Edgley, of CU2/Jimmy fame, is undertaking a charity swim today to replace the original hide. She is swimming the Glaslyn, passed the VC and down to the mouth.   I don't think I've been in hide, but I have been to the VC.  I went out to the balcony at the VC to see the area when I went in early September 2015.  It was beautiful.  Gail has undertaken a number of strenuous events, raising money for charity and a lot for Glaslyn

10:10  Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife​  We should see Gail reach the river bend around 11.30 to 11.45.

Map, here

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife