GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• The heron is performing to the cam!  Snipped now, 12.29

11:09  Heather Corfield   It is our pet heron. I suspect this is the young one that decided to roost on our Visitor Centre decking when he/she first fledged. It does not seem to do it now.

11:18 Heather Corfield  I have never seen a heron on the decking or VC roof before. It was caught on our security camera and was even there while we were open on a few occasions. It seems to prefer the bridge now.

11:22 Heather Corfield  I think the reason it was hanging around that it was newly fledged and finding a territory. The decking probably felt like a safe place after leaving the nest.
    12.33  Waiting for a passing fish
     © Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• These 2 views didn't have the face glared white:

IMAGICAT

• If that is the Heron youngster which Heather saw on the decking, it probably no longer perches there because it has worked out that there are more fish in the river than on the decking! Or than on the roof when it comes to it. We all like to be in close proximity to our dinner when it is getting near mealtime...well, I do--Lol!

Kind regards, Ann

• Glaslyn lost the link when changing cameras just now.

9:18 AM
    Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife
    ​Apologies the encoder froze in the process of the change.

New Link:- www.youtube.com/watch

Currently showing Goosanders.
  • Well done and thank you Sheila. Simple gorgeous captures Scylla. - more for my friend Zilpha. Thank you

• Mike B said:
    Glaslyn lost the link when changing cameras just now.

I lost the last hour - never mind Wink

Half an hour ago from rollback, a tease from Heather:

IMAGICAT

• Before the cam went down, the squirrel had a play but it was difficult for the cam to keep up with it:

IMAGICAT

• I wonder if the little post in the ground marks the spot for one corner of the new hide...

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    I wonder if the little post in the ground marks the spot for one corner of the new hide...

Good thinking!  But I thought I saw that it was near the tables/seats in the area that frequently gets flooded - I went back to check but couldn't easily find it again (it was on rollback) so I can't confirm that.  I know I should have paid more attention Tired face

IMAGICAT

• The current hide is fairly near to a picnic table and a bench--they are in the spot where the volunteers and Heather and Becci did their wave to the camera on Sunday. That bench and table do become flooded and so do the supports for the current hide. The floor of the current hide might flood, too, in spite of the hide itself being raised several feet above ground level, with ramps to get into it. I expect they will build the new hide a bit higher still so that only its supports are flooded when the gates are closed at Porthmadog and the river water builds up behind the gates, flooding the Glaslyn carpark and the area around the centre. The supporting structures of the visitor centre get flooded, too, but I think the building proper is above water level. There is a ramp to get into the centre and a deck on the river side and one on the entrance side which you can see when the camera pans around the centre. I believe the visitor centre itself does not flood though possibly it does slightly on rare occasions--I hope someone in the know will tell us! I remember watching the live streaming and seeing the water level nearly up to the decking on a few occasions. Not sure if they will demolish the old hide and rebuild on the same spot or build the new hide next door to the old one and then demolish that one, but I am guessing the new hide will be in the same area, possibly even on the same spot.

Kind regards, Ann