GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Thank you, Richard - obviously I found those two via Google but no amount of comparison got me anywhere Wink

That snap was mega enhanced, believe it or not, I was thinking I'd rarely seen those birds on the cam, nor posted them.
  • Well done, Richard--one of the Glaslyn folk ID'd those birds shortly after they appeared---a Redshank and there were two Green Sandpipers at one point.

Kind regards, Ann

• i wasn't sure about Redshank or Greenshank, but due to the longer sleeker body and the lighter colouring I went for Greenshank.

Richard B

• I am rubbish at wader ID, Richard, and was only repeating what Heather had posted on Glaslyn YouTube chat. One of their local supporters, Elfyn, made the IDs, although she and a couple of others had suggested Redshank because the red legs were visible earlier (even saw that myself--hooray!). Heather had also suggested Green Sandpiper and was happy to have that confirmed.

Kind regards, Ann

• Wonderful swan video - interesting roots systems and beautiful!. Enjoyed the captures, especially the squirrel and the greenery (super lighting_. Thanks Sylla
  • I didn't see any other pictures which would have been nice. Waders can be tricky even when they're standing right in front of you.
    Heather has much better pictures having the live feed. If the legs were red then definitely not Greenshanks.

Roll on the next one to ID. lol

Richard B

• 12 November (am a whole day behind)

A very wet day.  I noticed yesterday there was speculation about a swan being injured, this is all I found:

13 December - nothing noteworthy so far.

• 13 December

A short look at the same swan?

14 December

The top birdie was a Blue Tit (99%) so probably the bottom one was too but couldn't get a good look:

It's a drear 'n drizzly day, the swans are still with us but there are no picturesque pics and I'm not going to try to follow the injured one, if indeed it is injured.

• Scylla, you may have seen that Heather and others suggested the injured Swan might have flown into something, a fence perhaps. That right wing is definitely damaged. I dipped in an out of the YouTube site this afternoon and watched the Swan walk slowly into the trees at one point, away from the others--not sure where it has been since then. I worry that he/she might be in pain and there is no telling just how bad the injury is. You may have seen Heather's comments a day or two ago after the injured Swan was first noticed that there was another Whooper Swan in the area year round for something like a decade up to 2014. That one had only half of one wing after apparently suffering some injury. That bird spent those years moving up and down the Glaslyn River, often as far as Porthmadog, and joining other Whooper Swans when they were on the river in the winter, although it could not fly with them when they flew to other local spots over the winter.

Kind regards, Ann

• MC and all.
    Service update from Heather.
    "4:26 PM
    Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife
    ​Please be aware that the live stream will be switched off around 9am tomorrow to enable us to carry out essential work on the system. It will be restarted once the work is complete."