WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY MARCH 28, 2021

Hallo all.  Look back at Saturday for some lovely flower pix from Lindybird and more!

• THANK YOU, Annette. I had to walk up to the convenience store on the highway and get a burrito for my dinner, because I realized I was out of food and we have thunderstorms coming in. So, I was late getting to the thread.
  • LINDA – Your OH must be on Aussie time – but he is a week early! We put our clocks back next Sunday.

ANNETTE – What were they thinking, hiking so near a volcano. With children too. Thanks for starting us off.

• Too many church services start at eleven sharp and end at twelve dull. (Vance Havner)

The first time I sang in the church choir; two hundred people changed their religion. (Fred Allen)

The church is near but the road is icy;
    The bar is far away but I will walk carefully. [Russian proverb]

• Good Morning. Love the quotes, AQ!

Thanks to Annette for starting us off. Grey & wet here as forecast, but better weather promised for this week thereafter. We are debating getting all of our garden furniture out for a review of what we have: some of it's never used. Years ago I optimistically bought a very large wooden table & matching chairs. As they're kept in a lean to shed around the side of the house with a concrete floor, the feet are all going rotten. We never get the table out as our family rarely come here, so now reluctantly I'm thinking of giving it away.
  • AQ - Great quotes, but I should probably not put them into this week's news sheet! Our churches are beginning to reopen, still with major restrictions. Now come the decisions - do we stop online services, which have been attracting large numbers, or do we keep them going in parallel with 'live' services? Not an easy decision - glad I don't have to make it!

Just been watching the volcano video. That's very scary. And those crowds of people, many apparently not really dressed for that sort of trek. Would I get that close to a volcano? Well, I've been pretty close to a few in my time, but not with lava running like a river. Spectacular but dangerous.

Grey here again today, although we are promised better things for the days ahead. The forecast has been pretty wrong lately, but I hope they will be right this time. I will be going on my first National Trust outing on Wednesday, to Nymans, which should be beautiful at this time of year, with blossom, magnolias, camellias etc. Yesterday the forecast said bright sunshine. Today it has moderated to 'sunny spells'. Going in the wrong direction! Hopetully the full sun logo will reappear!

Have a good day, everyone.
  • Pat O. Osprey seen again this morning at Weir Wood.
  • I liked the volcano video too: we have walked on many a volcano, and love them: we first got acquainted many years ago when we began going to the Canary Islands, which are of course all volcanic. The dramatic scenery around them is quite spectacular. But we have never been near to a live one!

Just had long phone call and put the world to rights with Sue - she is busy making a special pudding for my OH for his birthday tomorrow, which will be a surprise. If its not raining, we are all hoping that she can come and sit in our garden for an hour for a coffee outside.
  • Mike - Thank you. There have been several sightings. I have been down a couple of times in the last week but obviously not at the right time! And I'm even wondering whether I'm in the right place? I go to the end with the hide, but wonder if I should be at the Forest Row end? I don't know how to get to that end ...
  • Pat, you need to head towards Forest Row from the Weir Wood direction and look for a sign directing you to the Weir Wood Sailing Club. As you go down the private road,(watch for the speed humps and potholes!) you will eventually pass a couple of SE Water cottages just after that turn LEFT which takes you to the Sailing Club and the Dam. Large parking area in a woodland clearing.

The turning is just West of the Rudolph Steiner school so if you are coming from FR it will be on your right.

The other place is at the end of Admirals Bridge Lane where the canoeist gather. There is a car park there and you can walk along the North side of the reservoir. Good views from there both ways.
    Admirals Bridge Lane is the one on the sharp bend on hill as you come down from Saint Hill Green and where you get your first glimpse of the reservoir. It is the old road which was closed when the reservoir was built.
    Try Google earth/street view.

Hope that helps.