LOCH GARTEN UPDATES AND WEBCAM INFORMATION - 2021

Until the webcam is up and running and we go back to Daily Updates on the Nest, this thread is for posting any information about LOCH GARTEN. 

Fergus has written a new blog with details of when the Centre will be opening - May 1st.  

LINK TO BLOG

• Good morning. Mistle stands regally. I saw a flash fly by right to left, and though she saw it she was not bothered.

• Axel arrives fishless and mantles while she screams at him. Thank goodness for sound, lol. He looked like he was going to mate, paused above her, but flew on.

(I cannot tell if there is an intruder he is looking at in the environment, but he is not alarm calling.)
    He is now on the nest again ignoring her while inspecting the environment. He yawns! And takes off.

I've just noticed it is pouring rain. But now rain seems to have stopped! Gosh...

• So nice to see this couple apparently committed to the nest and each other. We'll soon recount this year as a benchmark in the history of the Loch Garten nest, no doubt affectionately recalling Axel's first mating blunders! :-*
  • Checking back. ENS. Raining again.

• The nest is looking particularly gorgeous and Mistle is slowly picking her way around it like she is walking in her garden Still seems to be raining
  • Les Carr said:
    Is anybody keeping a record of successful matings as I’ve only seen 3/4 that I think were OK.

Does your success count just cover today, LES?  There were a few successes this morning and I've got lots of hours to check thru now.

I've been doing videos but don't have a little black book in which to keep an organised record!

This is my LG 2021 YouTube Playlist.

A big THANK YOU to SHEILA and CC for their detailed coverage!

• scylla said:

Les Carr said:
    Is anybody keeping a record of successful matings as I’ve only seen 3/4 that I think were OK.

Does your success count just cover today, LES? 

Knowing Les as I do, nothing less than a daily log of each mating attempt with time, place, wind direction and strength and marks out of 10 for the attempt will satisfy him. His entries in the voluneers log are legendary. 

• Second attempt.  This got stuck when I was trying to post

LOL  I do find it a trifle difficult at times to be able to make a judgement.  I need a zoom control and slo-mo!

A spot of excitement earlier times at the foot of the snip

An intruder was around, I think.  Mistle was restless

and started to intruder call and mantle

Axel came down and mated

but no soon had Axel departed when an unringed male landed on her back

He intruder went to the campost and Mistle shouted at him.  He left.

A caveat - I can't see a ring, so assume it wasn't Axel, and why would she really see him off like that if it were