LOCH GARTEN UPDATES AND WEBCAM INFORMATION - 2021

Until the webcam is up and running and we go back to Daily Updates on the Nest, this thread is for posting any information about LOCH GARTEN. 

Fergus has written a new blog with details of when the Centre will be opening - May 1st.  

LINK TO BLOG

• MaryGK said:

I think it is AX6 too Korky, and I see that AX0 and AX8 are both ringed in 2016 Nr. Inverness so could be ringer for that area has that set of ring numbers. 

AX6 for me too, Mary and Korky.

• No-one seen this morning from first light to 06:13.

IMAGICAT

• Feeder

06:47-11;58 - not many!

IMAGICAT

• Cracking snaps scylla. Great to see this camera/feeder up again. A crestie would be good too please?Grinning

• Can anyone tell me what the birds are currently on nest. Not sure if they are crossbills
  • A pair of crossbills seem to be the only visitors to the nest of note today. :-(

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• billy r said:
    Can anyone tell me what the birds are currently on nest. Not sure if they are crossbills

The male is orangey /red and the female is green - but she looks a little brown oin this light. But crossbill certainly. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Thanks, I've never seen one before
  • billy r said:
    Thanks, I've never seen one before

No problem - they are delightful birds and a frquent visitor to the nest. Soon they will be bringing their young hatched this year -  distinguished by a brown and buff stiped chest.

When the nest microphone is working (plug, plug) we may be lucky enough to hear their distinctive 'tupp tupp' call.

• To try and add a little levity to the situation today………… I remember in the early 2000s there was considerable scientific work being undertaken in the LG area to attempt to ascertain if there was a manner in which to distinguish Britain’s only endemic bird – the Scottish crossbill, from the 2 other species – Common and Parrot crossbills – both of which, in addition to the Scottish crossbill, were often to be found in the LG area. The researchers found that the ratio of bill length to wing size was different between Parrot and Common, but there was overlap between Parrot and Scottish and between Scottish and Common – and to be able to take these measurements you need to have the bird in the hand. In short, there was no way that a bird watcher in the field could be certain what species of Crossbill he was looking at. However, they were able to make sound recordings of all 3 species and from viewing the sonograms were able to distinguish a difference between the 3 species. Eventually the researchers who were making the recordings became so expert that they could often reliably predict which of the 3 species they were looking at – but they had made and analysed 100s of recordings.

That didn’t stop many many birdwatchers visiting the Osprey centre from telling staff with the utmost certainty that they had definitely seen a Scottish crossbill through their telescope 100 metres from the bird. The staff would try and politely explain the research and that field observations could not give a definitive answer on identification and, if they were interested, went on to discuss the sonograms. On more than 1 occasion I have to admit that when faced with a non-believer about the Science and being asked what the difference in the call was between the 3 species I explained that it was quite easy. The Parrot and Common’s call was a ‘tupp, tupp’ whilst the Scottish call was a ‘Mctupp, Mctupp’. The trick was to maintain a straight face before turning away, leaving them with their thoughts.