LLYN BRENIG, LLYN CLYWEDOG WELSH OSPREY PROJECTS CAPTURES & UPDATES MARCH 2021 TO END FEB 2022

Please use this thread for any Screen Captures and Updates on these Welsh Osprey Projects. 

LLYN BRENIG

FEMALE - BLUE 24(10) - HATCHED RUTLAND WATER, ENGLAND

MALE - BLUE HR7(14) - HATCHED LAKE OF MENTEITH, SCOTLAND

LINK TO BRENIG OSPREY PROJECT FACEBOOK PAGE

LLYN CLYWEDOG 

FEMALE - DELYTH - UNRINGED (DID NOT RETURN)

FEMALE - 5F (SEREN)

MALE - DYLAN - UNRINGED 

© NWR - LLYN CLYWEDOG OSPREYS

LINK TO APRIL 2020 TO END FEB 2021 THREAD

May they all arrive back safely. 

• Never posted on this thread before - there are so many. But wanted to add my voice to all the condemnations of others. Whatever local disputes there may be there is absolutely no excuse for this wanton act. I concur with the sentence suggested by gardenbirder.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• What a vile and cruel act.

If anyone has a reasoned argument as to why it would be unwise to reinstate the nest on this site (and I'm sure some do), I hope they will present it to the controlling organisations asap - as money is being donated towards that goal, I gather.

IMAGICAT

• Update from NWP Rural Crime unit in the last half hour.

"Wildlife crimes always have a motive and we believe the person who did this had a strong motive to rid the area of ospreys and particularly the lake. Initial enquiries show that the offender(s) possibly arrived by boat to chainsaw the platform"

• Further update from LB

They have cleared the buoy from the nearest alternative platform;LM6 and LJ2 had previously landed on that platform. At least 2 ospreys have been seen at LB today.
  • I am so angry with this site, angry with LM12 at Lowes and devastated for Lyn Brenig. Presumably someone has been keeping a “fish” diary count by species caught. Hopefully they haven’t taken a fancy to carp....just saying.
  • Latest news on LB's  Facebook  (have just copied it over as cannot seem to get links working to FB just now?)

Brenig Osprey Project
    17 m  · 
    Hello everyone / P’nawn da, pawb
    From all of us at Welsh Water and North Wales Wildlife Trust, thank you so much for your support today. It’s been a long morning! Some thoughts and news to share:
    1. Thank you again to everyone who has been offering to help – whether it’s financial, volunteering or anything else. At the moment, our priority has been to protect the birds (see below) – we may need to ask you for practical support in due course, but please bear with us whilst we get appropriate measures in place.
    2. This morning, Welsh Water staff have cleared one of the nearby, ‘closed’ platforms – which our nesting pair had already been scouting out. Our hope is that they will relocate to it within days – the female may well even be ready to lay, and we think we’ve given her a good option. Until we know whether they’ll use it, our protection measures will be mostly reactive and there may be limitations on what can be delivered at the new platform. Again, please bear with us whilst we get things in place – we’ll update everyone as soon as we possibly can.
    3. Once again, the biggest thing that anyone can do is to help North Wales Police catch those who perpetrated this horrific wildlife crime. If you have any information at all, please contact them – the crime reference number is Z059732. All those on site have given statements this morning, and we offer the police our unconditional support.
    We might be signing off now for a little while, and may take longer to get back to enquiries than normal. Please rest assured that this is because we are concentrating on the birds themselves – but we’ll do everything we can to keep you informed.
    All the very best for now,
    Nick, Natalia, Mark, Graeme, Kim and all from the Brenig Osprey Project
    Just to confirm the picture above is off the other nest we cleared today and we were advised to put in a decoy egg.
  • I’ve spent the whole day being beyond angry and upset and this blasted website hasn’t helped my mood. Just hope that the birds relocate to the other platform and are then left in peace.
  • Good contingency plan - it came with the photo of the decoy egg they have planted in the new nest

Brenig Osprey Project
    2thhrSponsotrted  · 
    Hello everyone / P’nawn da, pawb

From all of us at Welsh Water and North Wales Wildlife Trust, thank you so much for your support today. It’s been a long morning! Some thoughts and news to share:

1. Thank you again to everyone who has been offering to help – whether it’s financial, volunteering or anything else. At the moment, our priority has been to protect the birds (see below) – we may need to ask you for practical support in due course, but please bear with us whilst we get appropriate measures in place.

2. This morning, Welsh Water staff have cleared one of the nearby, ‘closed’ platforms – which our nesting pair had already been scouting out. Our hope is that they will relocate to it within days – the female may well even be ready to lay, and we think we’ve given her a good option. Until we know whether they’ll use it, our protection measures will be mostly reactive and there may be limitations on what can be delivered at the new platform. Again, please bear with us whilst we get things in place – we’ll update everyone as soon as we possibly can.

3. Once again, the biggest thing that anyone can do is to help North Wales Police catch those who perpetrated this horrific wildlife crime. If you have any information at all, please contact them – the crime reference number is Z059732. All those on site have given statements this morning, and we offer the police our unconditional support.

We might be signing off now for a little while, and may take longer to get back to enquiries than normal. Please rest assured that this is because we are concentrating on the birds themselves – but we’ll do everything we can to keep you informed.

All the very best for now,

Nick, Natalia, Mark, Graeme, Kim and all from the Brenig Osprey Project

Just to confirm the picture above is off the other nest we cleared today and we were advised to put in a decoy egg. 
    © Llyn Cywedog Brenig Ospreys/Welsh Water/NWWT

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Geez. Just read about this on the BBC website. Awful. Do hope they get whoever did this.....
  • It's making the national news now as well

Richard B