Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 February 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!!!

I hope everyone has a joyful week and that spring is finally here for us all! (Except AQ, I hope your side of the world is cooler!)

• AQ:  I don't know what to say about this whole Dr. Seuss thing.  To me it's political correctness gone mad.  What next?  Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs? (unrealistic depiction of dwarfs?) . And what about Rapunzel, Snow White and Cinderella?  All very out-of-date stereotypical depictions of helpless women waiting to be saved by princes? (Oh really? Where's mine?).  And what about Shakespeare?  Having grown up with Enid Blyton's Noddy books and The Three Golliwogs (am I even allowed to say that?) I'd like to think that realty kicks in once the fairy tales have been put aside and we see the faces of Space Shuttle crews,  world leaders, scientists, doctors, etc.  Then again, children learn a lot - good and bad - in their own homes.  Sigh. Meanwhile, the New York and Denver libraries are at least two with no plans to pull those specific Dr. Seuss books off their shelves.  

I need to go pull some weeds.....

• Happy belated birthday PAT.

CLARE – Hooray, you have been jabbed. Aussieland’s first Astra Zeneca jabs today in our state’s Murray Bridge. Much easier for our regional areas with normal fridge temps required.

ANNETTE - Have these pc people nothing better to do? “Mother” to be replaced by “gestational parent”, father by “non-gestational parent”. One should now feed “chest milk” to a baby. [Is “baby” permitted?] How ridiculous; does that mean I recently had “chest cancer”? I recall a friend’s mother, many years ago, indignant that some children were allowed to call their parents by their first names, said there are only 2 people you can call Mum and Dad. I wonder what she would say if she were alive today.

• AQ: WOW! I just read about the New Zealand earthquakes--especially that massive 8.1 that just happened--and the widespread tsunami warnings! I saw that Australia was under warnings, and I was worried about you. Then, I Googled a map showing the Kermadec Islands (I didn't know where they were). It looks like you won't be impacted? It appears that New Zealand, French Polynesia, and other islands will be affected, and the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says that tsunamis could later strike Hawaii. I'm glad you'll be okay, AQ, but I feel sorry for all the people who'll be affected. Annette: I wonder if this will raise the surf on your beach?

• Annette: According to the L.A. Times: "The U.S. National Tsunami Warning Center is reviewing data to determine the threat of a tsunami in California and the rest of the West Coast."

• Happy Birthday, Pat. Nice that you were able to enjoy your walk.

I've had another busy day doing small stuff (inc. phone call to enquire why my garden pots ordered days ago have not arrived - "There's a distribution problem!") all punctuated by me going shopping for milk & mushrooms. Had a panic call to our Youngest as could not get our printer to oblige with some stuff we'd received from the cruise company. Soon sorted as he explained it to me - I do wish I could keep up with the technology, I'm always left feeling as if I'm just hanging on by my fingernails....

A lot of banging and vehicles coming and going, today, as the new people six doors away are still moving in.
    Hardly ever saw their predecessors, so may not get to know these, either. My OH goes past on his way to walk the dog, so sometimes has chance to have a word with neighbours I don't seem to see.

• Diane, I read earlier about the massive earthquake and tsunami warnings - didn't even get a .mention here on our TV news. Did not occur to me it might affect the USA.
  • Diane:  Tx for that - just got on the https://tsunami.gov/ site and see nothing for our area although Central and South America could expect a small surge.   That's a big earthquake.  I've been thinking lately that we are sort of overdue for a good one.....(but I didn't say that out loud).

• Clare: I'm so happy and relieved that you and Limpy have both received a vaccine! I hope you both will now be safe.

• Rosy: Nice to see you! I bought my pecan pie, but I've made them before. They aren't too difficult. A traditional pecan pie is a regular pie crust filled with a gooey mixture of light or dark corn syrup, 3-4 eggs, sugar (I use half a cup of white granulated sugar and half a cup of light or dark brown sugar), real butter, salt, and real vanilla extract. To the gooey mixture, add fresh chopped pecans and bake. The pecans rise to the top, creating a gooey layer and a pecan layer. Others wouldn't use as much sugar as I do. There are dozens of types of pecan pie, because people add various ingredients. Bourbon whiskey/whisky pecan pie and chocolate pecan pie are both very popular. Many people top the pie with whipped cream or, like Annette, with vanilla ice cream. THIS WEBSITE has the original recipe that was on the old Karo corn syrup bottles in the 1930s, as well as 71 recipes for different types. That was more than you wanted to know. LOL!