Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 February 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Roll on spring!

Jacob's Ladder Wildflowers
Glacier National Park
U.S. National Park Service, NPS/Jacob W. Frank
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• I line my tins with non-stick baking paper - works a treat!
  • Hello to all
    HARELADY - it doesn't seem a year since Lily arrived !
    LINDY - Your tart looks so tasty. I too,
    use baking paper , usually get it from Lakeland.
    ANNETTE - hope family matters are not too soul destroying....
    The most exciting (?) thing that has happened here is that the window cleaner rang the doorbell for his money this morning and I was wearing a rather fetching bath towel !
    DIANE - thinking about you x
  • LOL HEATHER, that was exciting!

I am waiting for the doorbell to ring for delivery of compost bins. I am dressed for the occasion.
  • JillR said:
    I line my tins with non-stick baking paper - works a treat!

Ah, but I did have a baking paper circle in the bottom - it was the sides which stuck! And it was a non stick tin. Never mind, I levered out a big slice each and decided that the main fault was probably that I used a large egg , when it had stipulated a medium sized! It made the mixture too soggy. Also thought that it might be nice if I'd lined the tin with pastry, so it was more like a bakewell tart.

Beautifully sunny here, so wish I'd found something to wash and put on the line.

• Morning all:

Lindybird: Can I overnight laundry to you to hang out in the sun?  Does the service include ironing?  Snowdrops are pretty but oh - that pear concoction looks wonderful.  Do you serve it with custard or what?  Heard on our radio yesterday that the California State University system is planning to open all in-person classes when the new academic year starts in the Fall.  Also got an e-mail from our local symphony announcing a live in-person concert at their usual theater in another few weeks.  I'm assuming there'll be some social distancing.  Also, most of their supporters are older so I'm assuming that they're assuming that most of the audience will have received both vaccinations. (Lots of assumptions there.....)

JillR: Hallo there  Hope you're keeping well.

Rosy: Have fun with the compost bins.  :-)

Heather:  Hope you were more appropriately dressed when the window cleaner actually did the windows.  

No rain here, so have put the soaker hose on the tangerine and orange trees.  Our orange tree produced a bumper crop last year, only about 50 oranges the previous year and I see very little evidence of a good crop for this year.  It's always produced masses of fruit over the 18 years that we've been in this house; maybe it's getting tired. Errands on the agenda today along with the Tai Chi class.

• The compost bins were delivered by a very weary looking driver. I think these delivery men (they do all seem to be men), have a huge number of parcels to get through, with little time for a break. Anyway, he brought them in, and they are waiting by the garden door for the gardener to assemble on Thursday,
    Further bin news - I organised the letter about the new recycling bins to be sent to the residents today. These bins have not arrived yet, but I am hopeful that they will appear soon. I lead such an exciting life!

That tart looks seriously yummy LINDY. Who cares if it breaks up a bit!
    No sun here today. Thick cloud and drizzle.

I have followed with interest all your comments about your orange tree, for a few years now, ANNETTE. Orange trees look so beautiful. Only 50 oranges? Sounds good to me. How many in a bumper crop?
  • dinblib: A bumper crop of oranges is around 300 - so many I end up taking a lot to the local Food Bank!
  • Rosy, you're obviously leading a more exciting life than most of us!!!

We ate the rest of the almond tart thingy: it fell spart but my OH didn't care as long as he got plenty! We had it with what I call "squirty cream" from an aerosol. But normally my OH likes to have custard with desserts like that. I suppose it would also be nice with a dollop of ice cream. I'm going to file it away as a possible dessert to offer guests (guests? - what are those?)

Annette: No, no ironing being offered....although I dont mind ironing if I've got something engaging to watch on TV at the same time, my legs won't hold me up standing still for long enough to do more than an hours worth.

I hope OG is alright as she's not been on again lately.
  • Some lines there for your magazines :-)