Kielder Ospreys 2021

Kielder hatched Y6 seen today in The Gambia

• Rather late to see the previous posts, Storm Arwen resulted in very limited web access until today.

Many thanks for the lovely comments.

Kielder Forest has suffered massive damage, and there is more ongoing with Storm Barra, but next week it may be possible to access nest platforms.

The last Channel 5 programme, Winter, airs tonight. No ospreys, but no doubt there will be some more wonderful photography.

• Unknown said:
    Kielder Forest has suffered massive damage, and there is more ongoing with Storm Barra

How awful, thank you JayDee for thinking of us.  I found this on Kielder website:

Storm Arwen Hits Hard

The strong winds of Storm Arwen have caused significant damage to the area. Unfortunately many trees have fallen across the site, effecting visitor centre locations and walking & cycling trails including the Lakeside Way. Teams are working hard continuing to assess damage and risks, then begin clearing up.  

Visitors are being asked to stay away from all areas of the forest for your own safety. We will let you know as soon as it is safe to come back. All trails will be closed until further notice.

After 72 hours assessing the site, the team at Kielder Waterside have a restoration plan in place to clear damage, make the site safe again and reopen lodges and Winter Wonderland. The site is still without power or water. We will post on social media channels with updates. 

No mention of Storm Barra, so I fear that restoration activities may have had to be rethought or at least postponed.

Warm, supportive thoughts to you all - including the wildlife Purple heart

IMAGICAT

• Thanks, JD and Scylla, I expect we are all thinking about Kielder and wondering what the situation of the many nest platforms is and will be after this current storm. I wonder how many more trees at Kielder and across the country will come down having had root systems shaken up by storm Arwen and now being hit from a different direction.

Kind regards, Ann

• I am shocked to read this Sooo sorry Thinking of you JAYDEE and all those working on a restoration plan when it becomes possible I wonder how the osprey nests have been affected? Stay safe JAYDEE