WEEKLY CHAT (Non-Osprey) SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2021

Happy New Week and Happy Valentine's Day to anyone celebrating it  Heart eyes

• Heather - Birds are wonderful in their place, such as on branches in the garden, but not in bedrooms!
  • Yes, LINDY....It is only 16 months away!!
  • Heather:  What a lovely experience for your daughter - I had to Google Bullfinch images and the males are gorgeous.

SunnyKate2:  It's so interesting that the components for some scientific projects come from smallish and often unknown companies in our own backyards so to speak.  I love to watch these landings just to see the engineers/software folks who stare so seriously at their monitors throughout the run-up suddenly erupt in shouts of joy when success is confirmed.  I watched the NASA TV channel for about an hour prior to the actual event and it was clearly geared to young people and - hurray - featured many women scientists. 

Lindybird:  Am even more thrilled with my patio umbrella since I took the fabric part out of the dryer and it's spotless and like-new!  :-)

After the second Covid shot (Pfizer), the nurse on duty told us to be sure to drink water over the next couple of days because of possible flue-like side effects, but we have nothing so far except sore arms. Also heard on the radio yesterday morning that the Moderna vaccine is more associated with side effects and - interestingly - it seems younger people are more likely to have them than older folks.

• ANNETTE don't know if it's of any significance but Amy (19) had pretty awful side effects as I said here previously. Headache, high temperature
    shivering and vomiting. But by the next day she was fee!ing much better. However, she had a letter today from the diabetic c!inic. She has early signs of eye problems. Not good. She will have to work harder to keep her blood sugar levels lower. Not what most teenagers want to hear!!!!
  • Heather: Hope Amy heeds the warning while there's time to prevent more damage.
  • HEATHER: I hope Amy won't sustain any additional damage. I know it's worrisome for you. That Bullfinch is a glorious lovely bird. 

ROSY: That's disgraceful that you aren't getting the credit you deserve for your hard work on the recycling project. I think I'd have to set the record straight on that.

ALL: I enjoyed the Mars landing coverage. It was wonderful to see something good, given all the ways that my country is a mess right now. I, too, was glad to see all the women scientists in the coverage and at Mission Control. 

• Lindy: I forgot to say that I'm so happy that your dental appointment went well.
  • UPDATE: So, I have about 16 inches of snow on the ground (that's 40 centimeters). I received 11 inches during the first storm (Winter Storm Uri). I got 4 inches of snow Wednesday night/Thursday morning from the second storm (Winter Storm Viola), and I received an additional inch or so last night. According to The Weather Channel, a minor storm will arrive this weekend.

Temperatures are still unholy extreme cold, but the sun is shining today and everything is beautiful. I left a bottle of water beside my desk last night, and it was frozen when I got up this morning.

The rabbits are alive. I consulted the internet to find out which other vegetables they safely can eat (besides carrots), and I took food out to them this afternoon and put it under the car. One of the rabbits touched the toe of my boot when I walked close to the edge of the car.
  • Thank you, Diane. Only of importance to me, of course! But I had been dreading what he would say when he saw the damage. Such relief.

I see from FBook that you have has yet more snow, and that things haven't improved there: please keep safe. The bunnies, too. We are getting lots of pictures of Texas, still,and can see that they are in shock from having unusual weather. At least they seem to have got their electricity supplies back to more normal.