Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 7 February 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a safe and healthy week!

White-Tailed Deer
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
US National Park Service, NPS/Pat Cohee
Photo labeled Public Domain/Copyright Free

• Our iris are finally opening. Later than last year 

• Diane:  Just for the record, homely in the UK is the same as our homey

UK readers:  Homely in the US means plain or unattractive.

Two nations separated by a common language...  

• Annette: Thanks! I realized when I read it. When I was a book editor, some of the books I edited were solely for the U.S. audience and some were also for distribution in the UK and other countries. I had a long list of words with differing definitions and an even longer list with different spellings. Unfortunately, I've forgotten a lot of them. I can think of one word that is perfectly acceptable in the U.K. but is quite vulgar in the U.S. (different meanings). LOL!

• LINDY: I'm glad your OH is beginning to feel better. I hope his condition was temporary and he'll be healthy and symptom-free very soon!
  • I want someone who will look at me the same way I look at chocolate cake.

If you can't remember my name, just say "Chocolate" and I'll turn around. 

Nine out of ten people love chocolate, and the 10th person is always lying.

• Good Morning. Grey skies here, and only zero degrees, with a higher temp of 2 deg expected later. But no snow here, yet....

Annette, thanks for the notes on "homely" Now that I think about it, it does seem to be applied differently if referring to a person's appearance - a homely girl would be described as rather plain. But a homely room is cosy and lived in.

We certainly have some different applications here -- there was a huge amount of amusement when they released the USA film about the whale, which was called "Free Willy!!"

• Thank you for the good wishes for my OHs recovery. He seems to be improving all the time, and has now dropped the painkillers. He will get to the end of his course of antibiotics tomorrow, so looks forward to having a glass of wine after that.

Thank goodness they are televising the cricket at the moment, at least he can sit and enjoy that.

Sis in law Sue and her little dog Boris are now inseparable, and very happy together. He rarely barks, which is ideal as she has close neighbours.
  • I don't think I wrote about the outcome of my OH trying to offer himself as a volunteer in the big vaccination effort -- it was difficult to find which organisations were involved, but then they told him that they were inundated with offers, and he wouldn't be required.

A golfing friend of his who is 80 was quite ill after his vaccination- he had a fever for about 3 days and felt low for a week. Bad luck. He is OK now.

• Misunderstandings between UK & Aussie speech. Many years ago a friend of a friend phoned her workplace in London to say she was in bed with a wog. DownUnder that would have meant she had some sort of cold or flu.
  • aquilareen said:
    Many years ago a friend of a friend phoned her workplace in London to say she was in bed with a wog. DownUnder that would have meant she had some sort of cold or flu.

It's always good to start a new week crying with laughter!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.