Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 January 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

February 1 is Imbolc (or Imbolg), the old Gaelic festival marking the coming of spring and traditionally celebrated throughout Scotland, Ireland, and the Isle of Man. It falls about halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. We're almost to the time of warmer weather (cooler weather for you, AQ)! Yay! I'm so hoping for an early spring, so we'll only have about 4 or 5 more weeks of the cold. 

I hope everyone has an easy week!

Marsh Marigold wildflowers, Shenandoah National Park
U.S. National Park Service: NPS
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• That's good news LINDY x
    Like ANNETTE I had wondered about pleurisy. Did they come to any conclusions?
  • Very glad that your OH is home now LINDY. Evening discharges from hospital are very unsettling, but that is what seems to be happening these days. Sorry about that drive home after a stressful day.
    I hope you can both have a peaceful day today.
  • Good Morning. Like the thought for today, AQ :-)

My OH had a good night, only waking a couple of times. His pain is diminishing. It's not a jabbing pain, more of a constant. His sister has given him strict instructions to rest today! He was glad to get home - two of the patients in his hospital ward were unconscious, two were talking but bed bound, and one was jabbering and incomprehensible -- difficult for the nursing staff.

Yes, the drive home was not pleasant, and a few swearywords appeared as we went down potholes in the wet and the dark -- they were on the main road, too! I find I can't see as well in the dark these days so was gripping the steering wheel and gazing hard into the blackness, terrified of missing something. Thankfully, the roads were really quiet because of the lock down. We've had more rain in the night here and parts of our garden are filling up with water again as it's so saturated, there's nowhere for it to go.
  • OG, glad to hear all is well on the mammogram front. Saw that you are still getting snow there, with more to come at the weekend, We may get some, too.

New microwave appears to work OK, after my having fun and games getting it out of the box it was in, which was difficult so in the end I tipped it out into the carpet and then had to carefully lift it and put it in place without hurting my back. After I had unpacked everything, I found the instruction books inside the appliance, including an instruction sheet on How to Unpack Your New Appliance ---- which was carefully tucked inside, LOL!!

Edit:  My teeth are causing discomfort in that the sharp edges are hurting my tongue and the inside of my upper lip, but I had to answer the dentists receptionist honestly and said Its not painful in itself. Something to be grateful for. I'm eating very carefully!!

• OG - sorry about the side effects from what I assume are strong painkillers. Are you advised that they will wear off in time?
    LINDY - Good that your OH is feeling a little better. Sudden onset chest pain is very worrying - we had ambulances here twice because of the same thing and ended up in A and E. Nothing diagnosed on either occasion but we were very grateful for the quick response.
    The snow that was forecasted for the Highlands is there but not where I live. Middle daughter had a little difficulty on the hill going up to work this morning but that school is situated above the snow line.
  • LINDY Glad OH is home. Hope is feels back to health soon. I had pleurisy many years ago and it was indeed a sharp pain at the top of each breath. I wasn't even off sick as it was only a touch of pleurisy diagnosed after an Xray.

OG Sorry to know that you are still suffering from extreme tiredness.
  • Many phone calls today all round, as everyone catches up. Our lady neighbour kindly called round to see how things were, too.

My OH is now watching the cricket and I hope he'll have a sleep this afternoon. Dibnlib- Yes, he couldn't take a deep breath at all for the pain & they said his oxygen levels were low because of it, so gave him some.

I made sis--in-law Sue laugh as I described fighting with the microwave yesterday "Local Woman found dead on floor, with microwave on her chest!" was one of my suggested headlines for the local paper!

• Just to let you know bluesky and bluesky2 are the same person. I'd been having real problems trying to sign in and post on your forum, so I rejoined again and of course had to change my username slightly to do this.

We had also changed our internet provider after having a lot of problems with them. So my email address is different with bluesky2. But pleased to say it is working ok so far.

Hopefully, as Catlady and Scylla both said we will hear soon from Loch Garten about progress being made before the start of the Osprey season. Fingers crossedWouldn't it be wonderful if Blue 195 arrived and occupied the nest.
  • Welcome to this thread, BLUESKY2/1! You are very welcome. Great to see BJANE reappear too.

LINDA - sorry you had that horrible drive in the dark and wet last night - but I suppose it was worthwhile to have your OH back home. I don't know how you and his Sister will persuade such a normally active man to rest, especially as the pain gets less.

ANNETTE - I have your birthday listed, but unfortunately I missed it once again. Glad you enjoyed your day and the good meal out!

GP phoned J as promised and says they are happy to renew his sick note every 4 weeks. They actually call them "fit notes" here! I took a whole hour less to wake up today, and have only dozed off once before lunch, so maybe sleep effect of med is getting less - hope so as I want to persevere with it as the pain is a lot less. OH made a lovely stirfry meal for lunch - I helped him tweak a salmon teriyaki recipe to suit pork and ginger - yummy.

Weather is dry and cold - birds and mouse all behaving normally since they stayed away for the bird count weekend as usual. Enjoyed all the posts, but sorry about Lynette's daughter having Covid, especially as they are so dependent on her for shopping etc.
  • Good afternoon all. I thought you might like to know that I will have my first Covid jab on Wednesday afternoon. I hope you are all well.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here