Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 January 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

February 1 is Imbolc (or Imbolg), the old Gaelic festival marking the coming of spring and traditionally celebrated throughout Scotland, Ireland, and the Isle of Man. It falls about halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. We're almost to the time of warmer weather (cooler weather for you, AQ)! Yay! I'm so hoping for an early spring, so we'll only have about 4 or 5 more weeks of the cold. 

I hope everyone has an easy week!

Marsh Marigold wildflowers, Shenandoah National Park
U.S. National Park Service: NPS
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Made it! Three attempts to sign in!

Nearly posted on Sunday, but fell asleep when trying to find out why I might need a sheepskin rug. then it was teatime! Didn't try yesterday, because of the site's 1st of the month syndrome.

Scooter guy didn't come Monday as we had been told, and they said he would come today in the afternoon, but has not appeared yet! Somebody suggested our vaccinations are today - but no - they are next Monday! Friends round corner are in their eighties and still waiting! Tomorrow is mammogram day - if it happens this time!

Something happening - BBL!
  • Sorry OG, it was me! Memo to self - memory is not as good as I would like to believe...
  • Sad news about Captain Tom, but he had a good innings, and a very eventful last year of his life! I read that he'd insisted on having a "Do Not Resuscitate" notice above his bed last time he was in hospital so I expect he insisted on no efforts to revive him if he was seriously ill.

OG -- You seem to be having a muddle over various events taking place or not, as the case may be. Hope it's all resolved. I hear that a lot of those people who are more or less housebound are having to wait for their jabs, even if they're in their 80s, which doesn't seem fair but I suppose it's harder for them to be visited unless they have the jab that doesn't need keeping quite so cold.

I've had a mixed day - went into town in the car, as it was raining, and we both did our errands. My OH had to go to the bank for something else, but he also asked for ten pounds worth of 50 pence pieces, as our local car parks use these in their ticket machines. We have got through a whole lot of small change which we had stored ready, but it wasn't being topped up at all, as we never pay cash for anything at the moment.

I lost a whole corner off a tooth yesterday, but worse than that, today I felt something in my mouth when eating a biscuit and found that I had lost all of the top half of the tooth next to that! Right at the front, too, so now I look a sorry sight :-(

As I sat feeling sorry for myself it then occurred to me that the present rule about wearing a mask when out could be a blessing as at least no one will see my smile, LOL!! Have made a dentist appointment but it's a whole 2 weeks away.

• No need for an apology, Heather! All our memories are letting us down more as each year goes by (I wonder why?)!

Anyway, what happened was that E-E phoned Scooter company and the engineer's van had broken down. Tele response person said there was a message for "somebody" to phone us - ghghrrrrur! I was really angry as I was waiting to have a shower to smell a bit sweeter at the hospital tomorrow! So I have now had said shower and OH is having to put tea together a bit later than usual (sounds more complicated than it should as he has to be with me for safety when I am in the shower).

Now just a couple of replies:

AQ - so glad the zapping is done, and I hope you get positive comments from the various professionals. Remember that you still need to rest plenty - the treatment goes on working in your body for quite a time.

LYNETTE - I hope that your daughter wil not get anther positive test, and that your vaccination can go ahead.

Forgive me that I can't remember any other posts. I am "normal-tired" rather than sleepy now, but have stayed awake all day, although OH couldn't wake me until about ten o'clock this morning. Thankfully, appt is at midday tomorrow.
  • LINDA: so sorry about those teeth - maybe less biscuits and more chocolate - no calories if it's for medical reasons!
  • LINDY - I can't work out how the top half of a tooth can be missing! What is the bottom half attached to?!!
  • Heather - The jaw ---- a bottom tooth! Tried to think of a kinder way to say it sorry
  • LOL HEATHER, I have been doing daft things today, like going to fetch a knife from the kitchen and returning with a spoon! I really do know the difference.

Sorry about your tooth, LINDY. I hope it is not painful. Yes, there are some advantages about wearing a mask.

I hope your appointment goes according to plan tomorrow, OG.
    I always get suspicious when engineer's vans 'break down'. Why don't they just phone and say they cannot make it at the arranged time? That is annoying, but at least you know.
  • OG: Hope you have a better day tomorrow. You are half right. That is, the rest of the tooth is in my gums, attached to my jaw. But it is a top tooth, on the top row that is! Its got a very rough surface now, all jagged, and the tooth next to it which gave me problems yesterday has a large hole which I keep poking my tongue into. Subsequently, my lips are sore next to them both, and my tongue is very sorry for itself. I think I shall just have to ignore it all as best I can.
    I shan't mention that I also bit my own cheek just before the tooth incident..... I am a mess....
  • Lindybird:  So sorry about the teeth.  Hope you are on a list for cancellations at the dentists.

OG: Good to see you, but what a mix up.  

Rosy:  Don't feel bad.  I was heating oil in a pan for chicken this evening and was so preoccupied thinking about something else that I added peas instead of the chicken.  (Sauteed peas anyone?  Um, no thanks).