Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 January 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe week, and you all find some joy. 

Sunrise through the Lodgepole Pines
Yellowstone National Park
US National Park Service NPS/Jacob W. Frank
Photo labeled public domain (copyright free). 

• ANNETTE – I am nowhere near bad enough for a “disabled” parking permit. I know of some quite fit people who have one. My Doc is honest and doesn’t sign forms too readily. Besides the clinic is huge with lots of cancer, eye, etc, etc medicos as well as day surgery. Dau has offered to take me when school goes back. However she lives 45-50 min drive away from me and it doesn’t seem fair to drag her all that way as my appt only takes 12 mins including changing & set up. Yes, I shall ask her if I have to.

LINDA – Glad you were able to drive home safely after jab. “They” always give a long list of side effects, just in case, lest you sue them for misinformation. My cancer booklet predicts a month of fatigue; I would rather your prediction LOL. Whatever, I’ll manage. Great to see Rosie is reading the right literature already.

Good luck HEATHER & PAT. Aussie eyes are on UK jabs. Vaccines are expected to be approved here by end of month.

DIANE – It is not just Americans who are goofy. There are many who believe celebrities with strange ideas. One, a former cooking show judge, thinks he is an expert on health, covid, anything. Peculiar claims, promoting questionable products and people believe him!

I have been out early to cover my tomatoes from today’s heat. At last I have picked 2 tomatoes, both half green but I need to get them before some nasty creepy crawly burrows holes in the fruit. They will ripen on kitchen bench.

• Sometimes I stay up so late that I have my morning coffee before I go to bed.

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I will have another coffee.

I’m holding a cup of coffee, so yeah, I’m pretty busy.

• I just wrote a post and went off line in the middle of it. Very annoying.
    Best wishes to all. I will try again tomorrow.
  • Rosy: So sorry you lost your post - especially as we haven't heard a lot from you lately.

AQ:  I didn't think so, but hoped your current treatment might have warranted something......

I wrote a sort of Master List this morning on things that needed doing in various areas; hope to work my way through it over the next week.

Have a good Saturday everyone.

• ANNETTE - If I made such a list it would rival the Encyclopedia Britannica. . . .

The city has reached the max 39 and it's not yet the hottest part of the day. A mere 34 C here near the beach. Much cooler inside with a/c.

• Got up somewhat gingerly this morning, but apart from a tender shoulder, I feel fine. Don't even have the stiffness in the arm my OH had. I pointed out that the Doc said to me "relax your arm" so I did not brace myself for pain, which I suspect my OH did, and subsequently the needle went into a tense muscle.

Now I see there's an argument going on about when to give 2nd doses. It makes sense to me to give as many people as possible some protection before going back to do 2nd doses. Well have to see, I suppose, when the number crunchers have played around with the figures.

Rosy, sorry you lost your post - it's so disheartening when that happens.

AQ -- That is so hot, I'd have to jump in a cold river or something! Hope you can find parking spaces. We had similar worries for my OH. I used to go with him ready to drive the car around for a while in case there was nowhere to put it.
  • Good news LINDY !
    You would honestly think that I was about to have major surgery, I'm all of a bother ! Despite spending my entire working life in hospitals, I hate being a patient. I prefer to be on the other end of the needle! What usually happens is that I become very nervously chatty :-)
    It's very frosty here, this morning
  • I know what you mean HEATHER, but it was fine (had mine last week). I think the person who gave me my jab was new to the experience! I just had a sore arm that evening, but that disappeared the next day. (the soreness, not the arm). Nothing as traumatic as the smallpox vaccine. Remember that?
    I also get nervous and chatty sometimes, but I didn't then. Not entirely convinced about the twelve week gap, though. The jury is out on that one.
  • My feeling is that those who developed the vaccine know best, and surely the safest thing is to go with their recommendations? But I'm not a medic or a politician ...
  • They're going to have to make difficult decisions. Perhaps they'll need to make sure that all the vulnerable, NHS staff, over 65s etc have had their two doses before they go on to the rest of the population.

But then, there will be complaints from the 60 year olds.... I'm glad I'm not in charge!!