WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY, JANUARY !0, 2021

Back later to catch up.

• Diane - What a great story. I would love to have seen your four neighbours sitting in the tree. Very special - and still keeping a watchful eye on you!

Very heavy frost overnight and it hasn't cleared yet. Went for an early walk and took lots of photographs - the pond is almost iced over, and the trees and grass look spectacular. There was actually someone else out early, enjoying the wonder, so we stopped and had a chat. Amazing spiders' webs all over the place, with frost covering them and making them look like delicate lace.

Hope everyone is enjoying Sunday. AQ - I wasn't quite in my Sunday best for the church service on Radio 4 this morning, but for the first time in many years I listened while I was still tucked up under the duvet.
  • Harelady: I'm so very sorry that you've been furloughed again. Such a hard time for everyone.

Catbirds are wonderful. Their calls sound like a cat meowing.

My new phone has a camera. I don't know about the quality. I haven't used it yet. You all likely would be horrified at my land. You British folks have such lovely, manicured gardens. All lovingly cared for and made beautiful. My land is wild and rugged with weeds and vines and mole hills and groundhog burrows. The gnarled old-growth trees have shed huge limbs, which are filling up my backyard, and I haven't had the physical ability or the financial wherewithal to saw them up and remove them. One collapsed my deck during the recent storms! Too close to my house for comfort! The woodpeckers think it's heaven, though. South of my house is a flood plain, where the creek used to flood, and that area is especially rugged and jungle-like. You would not be impressed. LOL!!!

• Happy new year to all on this thread

• Harelady: Here's a Google Satellite View of my house. Street View isn't available. My place is too remote. On the right is the creek, and on the left is a tall ridge (a sharp hill), which is crop land (usually corn) on the top. I don't own that land. 

• Little Raccoon Creek flows for a couple hundred miles, so there's nothing in the photo that would identify my location.
  • Went down to the ocean last evening to the area where we used to count whales. I got there just after four thinking it would be fairly quiet only to find scores of surfers enjoying some very 'surfer-friendly' waves.  Came across a skunk that must've been deaf and blind because it was busy snuffling around the area for food apparently and not feeling at all threatened.  This morning went for an early walk along the bluffs in Mesa Park which was wonderfully invigorating.  Seeing and smelling the ocean is a great way to forget all the bad news.  Sounds like others on the thread have found some joy in Nature too.  :-)

Diane:  Reassuring to hear news of RTHawk and family.  Nice to know they're back in the neighborhood.  Say hallo to them from us!

PatO; I was taught by the nuns (Catholic) that it doesn't matter how humble (or unconventional?) the 'church,' what mattered was that your heart was in the right place.   Have just finished "Troubled Blood" (913 pages).  Now back to my LA-area private investigators.  

Harelady:  Your employer sounds great. Nice that you can call them up to chat and keep in touch.  Hope it doesn't last too long.  I guess no chance to work at home for them...

Off to do something productive (will save the ironing for late afternoon). 

Take care everybody.

• Very good to have you back posting DIANE. Lovely story of your feathered neighbours.
    I think we would all be impressed with your 'jungle'. I know I would.

ANNETTE, Seeing and smelling the ocean must be a great thing to do. Lucky you.
  • ANNETTE: Your photo of the ocean last week was beautiful.
  • Sorry I've not been posting today- lots to do!

Thanks to Annette for starting us off again.