WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY DECEMBER 27, 2020

Hallo all.  Re dishwashers, we just fill it up and run it whenever that happens.   Re gifts, my OH was fretting again that my hedge trimmer wasn't much of a 'gift' even though I wanted it.  I got it organized today, charged the battery and it's all ready to go.  Meanwhile, he's thrilled with the four-slice toaster, which seems to the job in record time. 

AQ: Re a previous 'thought,' what bothers me is that I eat light and healthy between New Year and Christmas but then undo it all just between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Went for a walk this morning and all kinds of bits were jiggling along behind.  

Heather:  I'm sure your gift from daughter wasn't mere wrinkle cream but a very exotic and expensive moisturizer. :-)    Maybe buy her a book on how to stay in shape as you age?  Just kidding.  

Lindybird:  A too-small hat and ice-defrosting spray for the car?  And no flowers either.  :-(    By the way, what made you decide on that lovely painting of the sailboats rather than one of the two you'd previously mentioned?  I love the winter-time photos.  I always liked walking in winter when I lived there - it's quiet and sort of contemplative time of year.

Diane:  Is it your computer or just online access?  We've been repeatedly bumped offline at certain times each day recently; the techy folks said it was simply that too many people were zooming, etc.  Do hope it's a comparatively easy fix.

OG:  Oh geez. No flowers for you either - and no houseplant - what does it take I ask!   Personalized signs on the motorways, as in  "Don't forget the flowers for your wife"?  That raspberry pavlova must've been wonderful - and chocolate cake too.  I've put on weight just reading about it.

A lovely sunset here tonight, with a storm working its way down the coast.   Grandson and partner are coming down tomorrow for lunch. I told him we had leftovers, etc., but he insists on bringing everything and will do all the work, 'so you don't have to do anything and can relax with a glass of wine."   What a sweetie he's turned into.  I'm very lucky.

Have a good Sunday all. 

• Pat O said:
    I don't think my New Year's Eve will be very different from other years. I'll go to bed as early as I can in the hope that by midnight I will be asleep and miss everything.

I always live in hope of managing this but I've yet to sleep through midnight since I've been living in Felixstowe - there are invariably fireworks, and all of the ships at the Port of Felixstowe let off their foghorns!  To say the least it's an impressive racket.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• SunnyKate2 said:

Quite by accident started reading Jeffrey Archer...'Nothing ventured '
    and actually quite a nice interesting read.

1st of his series , William Warwick,
    as I read somewhere     ",not a Detective story more a story about a Detective"   

He's a really good author - I've got loads of his stuff.  I'm left a bit cold by boardroom and shareholder stuff, though, which he includes a bit too much of - but his characters are generally interesting and well thought out.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Lindybird said:
    I was just putting our evening meal on the plates, when the telephone rang...... Awful Cousin, ringing from Canada!

I bet you've ben absolutely gutted that she hasn't been able to visit!

Lindybird said:
    She said that she had "not been able to get an answer to ringing" when she tried to get my OHs sister. We know that Sue has a useful machine which tells you who is calling before you answer......

I'd treat yourself to one of these as a New Year present.

• Clare - Quite fun to hear all the ships' foghorns - but preferably not at midnight! I remember when I was cruising there was one day of very thick fog and the ship's foghorn was going all day. Very eerie.

AQ - Meant to say - according to the BBC there will be a live New Year's Day concert from Vienna as usual, broadcast on BBC2 tomorrow at 10.15am.. I do hope so - an annual treat, and a lovely way to enter the New Year gradually.
  • Happy Hogmanay to all our Scottish friends.

Pat, The lovely concert you referred to, the New Years Day Concert from Vienna, is always a highlight of our New Years day viewing: if we can't see it when broadcast, we enjoy it later as we record it. We used to go to bed early when we were tired from working, but nowadays we usually stay up to watch the London fireworks with a drink in hand. I think that tonight we will compromise by sitting up in bed with the TV on, ready to press the "off" button! Ships foghorns always sound very mournful to me, so I'm glad we can't hear any.

We had bright sunshine here for much of the morning, and my OH put warm water in the bird bath after cleaning it out. The starlings had a happy party in it straight away!! Very amusing.
  • Pat - nearly forgot to say thank you for all your good wishes for the coming year. I read an interesting article yesterday in which a journalist reminded us that no year is all bad. There were good things which happened, and kind deeds were demonstrated everywhere. We have all learned many lessons, she said, not only about how the world works, but about our own resilience. We should carry this strength forward with us into the coming year, with optimism.
  • The Snow

The Snow is falling as if in slow motion, white upon white.
    The wispy, misty light makes me muse.
    How lucky we are, the friends upon here
    We have, together, seen in many a New Year.

We've shared our woes and joys
    We've had A Rant, we've shouted at those
    Small injustices and we've given {{HUGS}}
    Where needed, even over the airwaves.

We've shared our pictures: dogs, grandchildren, beautiful views
    And vistas huge and wonderful.
    We've spoken of our aches and pains
    We've shared our knowledge - wisdom gained.

We've sympathized with those who had
    A tough time, when we thought our lives were bad -
    But it reminded me of Granny's view:
    "There's always someone worse off than you!"

So round it comes again, and I say
    I've not felt richer than today
    So lucky am I, to have such friends
    I send you my Best, as this year ends!
  • Happy New Year to all my dear friends! I hope 2021 is better to all of us.

My modem-router died, and I'm looking for a new one.that's compatible with my older DSL broadband. I'll post again when I resolve the issue. Thinking of you all tonight.
  • Lindy Thank you for the lovely poem.
  • Diane:  Sorry to hear about the modem/router issue. Hope you can get a suitable one that won't cost a bomb.  Meanwhile, take care and stay warm.

Lindybird: Thank you for a lovely end-of-a-bad-year-pick-me-up poem.  :-)

Having an exceedingly slow start here.  It's getting on for 10 in the morning and I'm still puttering around in nightie and slippers.  Have errands downtown later so will save my daily walk for that outing.  Suspect we'll have an easy dinner and an early night.

Wishing everyone on here including lurkers and safe and healthy 2021.