WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY DECEMBER 27, 2020

Hallo all.  Re dishwashers, we just fill it up and run it whenever that happens.   Re gifts, my OH was fretting again that my hedge trimmer wasn't much of a 'gift' even though I wanted it.  I got it organized today, charged the battery and it's all ready to go.  Meanwhile, he's thrilled with the four-slice toaster, which seems to the job in record time. 

AQ: Re a previous 'thought,' what bothers me is that I eat light and healthy between New Year and Christmas but then undo it all just between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Went for a walk this morning and all kinds of bits were jiggling along behind.  

Heather:  I'm sure your gift from daughter wasn't mere wrinkle cream but a very exotic and expensive moisturizer. :-)    Maybe buy her a book on how to stay in shape as you age?  Just kidding.  

Lindybird:  A too-small hat and ice-defrosting spray for the car?  And no flowers either.  :-(    By the way, what made you decide on that lovely painting of the sailboats rather than one of the two you'd previously mentioned?  I love the winter-time photos.  I always liked walking in winter when I lived there - it's quiet and sort of contemplative time of year.

Diane:  Is it your computer or just online access?  We've been repeatedly bumped offline at certain times each day recently; the techy folks said it was simply that too many people were zooming, etc.  Do hope it's a comparatively easy fix.

OG:  Oh geez. No flowers for you either - and no houseplant - what does it take I ask!   Personalized signs on the motorways, as in  "Don't forget the flowers for your wife"?  That raspberry pavlova must've been wonderful - and chocolate cake too.  I've put on weight just reading about it.

A lovely sunset here tonight, with a storm working its way down the coast.   Grandson and partner are coming down tomorrow for lunch. I told him we had leftovers, etc., but he insists on bringing everything and will do all the work, 'so you don't have to do anything and can relax with a glass of wine."   What a sweetie he's turned into.  I'm very lucky.

Have a good Sunday all. 

• Before I go to bed I'd like to wish everyone a very happy New Year.  Please stay safe as I'd hate to see anything happen to any of you.

I'm finishing the year with a suitably friendly neighbourhood bird:

I'd just got back from swimming a couple of weeks ago and this obliging bird was sunning itself on our neighbour's roof!  Undoubtedly the best view I've ever had of a sparrowhawk.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Wow, wow Clare, well done on the fabulous photo. Beautiful bird. Best wishes to you and Limpy for 2021.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• And to you!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Happy New Year to everyone here.

OH is slowly recovering from a life threatening condition. He was discharged from hospital before Christmas, still very unwell. I phoned the GP for advice, only to hear a recorded message saying that the surgery was closed because of Covid. Great! Anyway, with the help of long distance phone calls with our son we managed.

I have enjoyed keeping up with everyone here. Thanks to all for news of every day happenings. It made me feel more normal.
    I like the poem LINDY. I had been thinking Awful Cousin had been lying low of late!

I hope you continue to be upbeat and make good progress with you treatment AQ.

Fireworks and Foghorns must make an impressive noise CLARE.
    There have been fireworks here since early evening. Getting a bit annoying now.

Sorry you are having problems with your modem/router DIANE. I hope it can soon be resolved at reasonable expense.

Hello to Heather, OG, Annette, Dibnlib, Lynette, Pat and everyone else not mentioned.
  • Clare: Fabulous photo!  Take care and stay safe.

Rosy:  Do let us know how your OH is doing. Glad you were able to recruit son for help.  Take care.

• Stunning picture, Clare! Thanks for posting it. They are gorgeous, proud looking birds.

Rosy, so sorry to hear what a difficult time it's been for both you and your husband: I hope he will soon be on the mend and that the new year will be kinder to you both.

Glad everyone enjoyed my bit of poetry. I really value all the friendships on here and hope you will all be able to look forward with optimism

Especially, at the moment, poor Diane who it seems is being plagued once again with WiFi and equipment problems. Thinking of you, Diane, and hoping you can keep warm.

• Happy New Year!

A few (illegal) fireworks popped around midnight a few streets away. Grand Design residents went to bed 10 to midnight! OH had retired earlier. I was  out 8 am trying to weed but already too hot. Salad roll for lunch. No NY concert on Aussie TV. Tonight there will be the Edinburgh Tattoo – the 2019 Sydney version! Bleah. Not even the real one!!!

• An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves. (Bill Vaughan)

No matter how hard the past is, you can always begin again. (Jack Kornfield)

Here's to another year of laughing without reason and making beautiful memories. Happy New Year 2021

• Post first. Read back second. ROSY - I hope your OH continues to improve. {{{HUGS}}}

• Thanks, AQ!

Going to sleep now, at 12.30am but can still hear some of the many fireworks we've had around us.

Best Wishes to All on here, both regulars and lurkers.