WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY DECEMBER 27, 2020

Hallo all.  Re dishwashers, we just fill it up and run it whenever that happens.   Re gifts, my OH was fretting again that my hedge trimmer wasn't much of a 'gift' even though I wanted it.  I got it organized today, charged the battery and it's all ready to go.  Meanwhile, he's thrilled with the four-slice toaster, which seems to the job in record time. 

AQ: Re a previous 'thought,' what bothers me is that I eat light and healthy between New Year and Christmas but then undo it all just between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Went for a walk this morning and all kinds of bits were jiggling along behind.  

Heather:  I'm sure your gift from daughter wasn't mere wrinkle cream but a very exotic and expensive moisturizer. :-)    Maybe buy her a book on how to stay in shape as you age?  Just kidding.  

Lindybird:  A too-small hat and ice-defrosting spray for the car?  And no flowers either.  :-(    By the way, what made you decide on that lovely painting of the sailboats rather than one of the two you'd previously mentioned?  I love the winter-time photos.  I always liked walking in winter when I lived there - it's quiet and sort of contemplative time of year.

Diane:  Is it your computer or just online access?  We've been repeatedly bumped offline at certain times each day recently; the techy folks said it was simply that too many people were zooming, etc.  Do hope it's a comparatively easy fix.

OG:  Oh geez. No flowers for you either - and no houseplant - what does it take I ask!   Personalized signs on the motorways, as in  "Don't forget the flowers for your wife"?  That raspberry pavlova must've been wonderful - and chocolate cake too.  I've put on weight just reading about it.

A lovely sunset here tonight, with a storm working its way down the coast.   Grandson and partner are coming down tomorrow for lunch. I told him we had leftovers, etc., but he insists on bringing everything and will do all the work, 'so you don't have to do anything and can relax with a glass of wine."   What a sweetie he's turned into.  I'm very lucky.

Have a good Sunday all. 

• The children must have seen the snowman, as by the time I went out in my boots to look at it, there were lots of little footprints all around it. The girls are about 5 and 3 now, with a baby sister. He'd put the snowman next to their front gate.

We were sent hilarious film clips of our grandsons both hurtling down a bumpy snow slope on plastic sledges - wonderful!

I was just putting our evening meal on the plates, when the telephone rang...... Awful Cousin, ringing from Canada!! -- my OH talked to her for five minutes whilst I banged around the kitchen and put his dinner under the grill to keep warm. She said that she had "not been able to get an answer to ringing" when she tried to get my OHs sister. We know that Sue has a useful machine which tells you who is calling before you answer......
  • Let me put your mind at rest OG. No singing alowed but I sang to myself and we did the clapping action to Come and join the Celebration..

Dau finally helped put up a new kitchen blind as the other one had gone. Its a natural bamboo and much lighter than the dark tan one that was up. Makes the kitchen much lighter looking now.. Like to get my decs down straight after New Year too.

Lindybird - sounds like the grandchildren had great fun in the snow. It seems to be more down the Western side of the country as we have missed it so far being in the middle.
  • OG: Sorry, I wasn't clear.  The young'uns went home and were taking everything but the tree down at their place today.  I was just generally muttering about untidy cards at our house.  

Been raining all day. Have had two inches since 10 pm last night and Ms. D just informed me they now have snow in Prescott Valley.  I can only wonder what this storm means for Diane's area.....

• ANNETTE & OG – CBD = Central Business District, ie the heart of the city. Sorry about initials, especially as I dislike the modern trend to change everything to unintelligible letters!

LINDA –Oh dear, you must be devastated that Awful Cousin can’t travel this year. LOL

Another day here about 21 C max. Quite pleasant. Another 10 mins weeding, but they are growing faster than I can remove. The goal is to harvest tomatoes by Christmas. I have one and it is still grass green. Yes, I was late planting. Dau#2 gave me one of hers, at least 3 ins across. Tasted wonderful.

• Just a thought

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. (Dale Carnegie)

• Good morning from a white and frosty Inverness
    Good grief LINDY, awful cousin does pick her moments to call you! It's strange, the phone here always seems to ring at the wrong moment, too.
    Everyone here seems to be OK but I'm thinking about DIANE and her computer. The fact that she posted here from her phone would maybe point towards a computer issue?
    OG - I don't see how you could be more careful than you already are - it's the idiots round about you that need to think about their behaviours.
    AQ - disappointing about your tomatoes ! Nothing seems right these days, does it?
    Regards to ALL
  • Good Morning. Got up today to find that yesterday's snow had only half melted, then frozen over - a dangerous state for walking about. And my OH has just looked out of the window and noticed it's trying to snow again!!

Heather, we do forgive Cousin for her timing, as it's hard when in another time zone to guess if it's a "good time" but I'm afraid I sighed mightily. My OH told the biggest fib - he is not one for untruths but I was surprised that when she enquired about me, he said that she couldn't speak to me as I'd just popped next door!!

Today, I'm going to get out the Christmas wrapping paper and wrap my grandchildrens' books. Every Christmas and birthday they get books from us. I have a huge pile and need to sort it into four piles. We will be seeing them all eventually.

• One for the archives, when we are basking in the July sun, I hope!!

• Good morning – frost and sunshine here. Hard surfaces look like they have some slippery patches. E-E has trimmed J’s hair and will go to Tesco after lunch when road surface is safer. Having parked Christmas card box for next year I shall have to sort birthday cards today for January dates. We have cancelled tomorrow's one-week hearing aid check as a non essential visit to town.

LINDA – lovely to imagine the little boot-prints around the snowman! (Reminds me of Pooh and Piglet following the heffalump!) Wonderful for your Grandsons to be out enjoying the snow slopes. I see Awful Cousin has emerged again – hoping to make plans for 2021? Nice photo of the snowy fields beyond your tree. Funny to think of Christmas wrapping today!

LYNETTE – I think I would have been tempted to sing that one too! Glad you are pleased with the new lighter look in the kitchen – amazing what changing one item can achieve.

ANNETTE – sorry I misinterpreted your mutterings! Good that you have had rain, not so good that further East the snow is falling. I too have been thinking of Diane, with her restricted communications.

AQ – are we talking next Christmas for your Tomato? Glad Dau was successful with hers – lovely for young ones to see vegetables growing.

HEATHER – Take care on that frost and ice; let Dau do your shopping! … Oh dear, I keep treating you like an old lady, and I am only three years behind!
  • LINDY Very wise of Sue, but does this mean that "Awful Cousin" automatically phones you when Sue doesn't answer!!!

Just walked along the track by the forest this morning and it was ok underfoot and only about an inch of snow lying. A fellow walker pointed out that the snow showed up the tracks of the many squirrels running from the woods to the gardens that border onto the woods. We didn't see any this morning, but had 9 sightings a couple of days ago.