Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 December 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The new moon (the dark moon) is 14 December. I hope everyone has a safe, healthy week. Seek out joy, folks. 

Check back to last week's thread to see the latest posts, including one from Rosy. 

Red-Headed Woodpecker
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
National Park Service: NPS/Warren Bielenberg
Photo labeled Public Domain (copyright free)

• ANNETTE - yes, anti-inflams were helping a lot, but can do damage - GP talks about stomach and gut, Rheumatologist wants to protect my kidneys. So we'll try the suggested new regime once his letter gets through to GP and see what happens! I hope all was well at Dermatology check-up.

LYNETTE - your tree sounds really tasteful and festive.

LINDA - sunshine and showers here today - some of them heavy - but I think sunshine won in the end! Glad you knew Jane McDonald's name, as I knew it was wrong but just couldn't remember the correct one! We took a number of jigsaws to a charity shope a few years ago, but still haven't done all that we have - must be at least four yers since we did one! Looking forward to reading about your Great Custard Disaster.

I almost wrote on here earlier (and would have been more), but decided to just relax in front of afternoon TV while OH drove J to his appt (Yes, a real face to face person!) with the orthoptist. She measured his various numbers and removed the temp prism sheet from his glasses - says the op last Jan was completely successful now everything has settled! This morning we made some traditional biscuits - come with cherry on top, others to dip in chocolate. We were able to sample the cherry ones at lunchtime.

Hairdresser tomorrow, OH dentist (filling) on Thursday then fitting of my new hearing aids on Friday - so the busy week continues!
  • Wrote four paragraphs, then lost the lot ...

Will write again tomorrow.
  • LINDA – I want to know where all those words go, the ones we type only see them disappear. Are they floating around in outer space?

Thanks to ALL for thoughts, prayers & encouragement. I am feeling better daily. Five o’clock blues did not hit yesterday until 7.30 pm. Food shop today rather brief, mostly veggies and some meat that I shall turn into multi- meals for freezer. So far (4 pm) I am OK, about to have yet another sitdown. What a life!

• There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done. (Peter Drucker)

Grumbling requires no talent, no self-denial, no brains, no character. (O S Marsden)

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I’m right. (Ashleigh Brilliant)

• AQ:  Good to read that you're doing better.  Is Xmas going to be a week-long affair in Oz as in the UK?  Will you be seeing daughter and the trio?  

Lindybird: I don't know where those missing paragraphs go. I know they don't stay in my head.

OG   All good at dermatologist but didn't escape some blasts of icy cold whatever that freezes off bits and pieces that don't require investigation but for some reason the doc feels obliged to get rid of.  More baking going on at your house.  It must smell wonderful.  Good that J's eye is healed well.  I wonder what it is in anti-inflammatories that can create nasty side effects.

Busy morning here then retreated to garden with a book.  Am gradually transferring ancient print photos into new albums and culling as I go along.   But at this rate it'll take me well into 2021.

Take care all

• Good Morning. A horrid start to the day, with rain and wind, which woke me up today. Still dark,

Was disheartened last night, as wrote replies, plus about my day, and lost it somewhere. This tablet is creaking a bit, but I stilI prefer it to peering at my mobile phone.

Annette, you're right, it's annoying also because with my memory, I can't then revive what I said the 1st time!
  • Good that your dermatologist gave you a clean sheet. I'm keeping an eye on my OH as he had some bits removed a while back. He doesn't get recalled, they just leave it to him to raise concerns if he notices anything new. I wish I could get my photos organised better: since digital came along, I've taken thousands of images but they're not in albums. (Either digital ones or otherwise).

AQ -- Great to hear that you're slowly getting better. You'll get there {{HUGS}}

Went to nearby town yesterday to collect 2nd pair of specs, and because it was a bright day, there were many people about. Tried to dodge them in the street, which thankfully is pedestrians only, there. My OH came back triumphantly with a stout pair of walking shoes which he had bought at Sale price, and we leapt in and out of a nearby supermarket for fresh veg. After gazing at kitchen lighting in B&Q (hardware) we decided we were undecided... Our kitchen light bulbs keep failing so I pointed out that it might be best to have new fittings.

On the way home, we travelled out into the countryside to visit my late Friends OH and give him his Christmas card. He is well, and leaving shortly to stay with his daughter in Somerset for the festivities.

• Hi, all.

Snowing hard here tonight and more tomorrow as the major storm goes over. I'm supposed to get only a couple of inches, but this storm is predicted to turn into a massive blizzard when it hits the northeast. 

AQ: I'm glad you're feeling better, but I'm sorry you have the radiation therapy ahead of you. The waiting is the worst. Definitely rest and relax now. I saw that Adelaide had one of the "mysterious monoliths" appear and then disappear. 

OG: I'm so sorry that you can't continue to take the anti-inflammatories. It seemed like you were thriving on those and getting some real relief. Make the doctors explain their reasoning fully.

Take care, all.

• Well, I didn't get here yesterday, it was just because I was fed up after a particularly bad sleep! Maybe two hours. So yesterday was lost, really.
    It's for OG to talk about her meds etc but the dangers of polypharmacy in the elderly are well documented. Anti inflammatory drugs are tricky at the best of times. My OH was advised to take daily aspirin by his cousin who was a GP who knew nothing about my OHs medical history and didn't ask. It would have been a big mistake as confirmed by his own GP. Gastric bleeding, etc.
    Big decisions here about whether to see youngest family at Christmas. Son in law is working in Montrose, onshore workshop and working with folk from all over. No covid testing onshore. He comes home on Christmas Eve. Oh, how fed up we all are, just do the best looking at the bigger picture !!
  • Heather, I'm sorry your family have to make difficult decisions. They won't be alone in this, that's for sure. I hope you get a couple of good nights sleep now, to get you back to feeling more 'the thing.'

Diane, please take care, even if the snow is only a couple of inches! We dont want you falling down.

One of those strange monoliths turned up in The Isle of Wight the other day, but 24 hours later a local artist admitted to putting it there, on his favourite beach!