Weekly Chat, Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hi everyone: Have a nice Sunday. Don't forget to catch up on last few entries of previous week - AQ is havng a hard time sleeping coz of the heat!!

Daughter here for the night; catch up tomorrow.  :-)

• Remember when at RAF Leuchars in1985/6/7 that Air Traffic control used to have an annual BBQ just outside the tower. One year it kept on being postponed for one reason or another and it ended up being in Nov. As we drove round the peri track to the tower for the BBQ we had the first snow of winter. this has to be the strangest BBQ ever!!!!

• Morning all:  Storm whizzed through during the night; clear skies again today.  Taking OH for outpatient exam (purely routine) at hospital today, then both home for meeting with landscaper this afternoon.  It's still okay to plant here - the one thing we don't need - and it's not in the forecast - is day-after-day rain that would turn the soil to heavy clay.  A good number of neighbors have already put up their Christmas lights (earlier than last year) which makes our house look a bit bleak, so will probably drag them out in the next day or so.  Feel bad for those of you who are housebound due to the snow - as Alan says, a few days of not being able to go out and about would bring on cabin fever. 

Thanks for posts and pix and smiles. Wouldn't be surprised if that arrangement of toilets isn't part of someone's Art degree thesis.  Years ago, CSULB (Cal State Uni at Long Beach) had a pile of lumber on their grassy area facing the street and I kept wondering why they didn't clean up the construction debris - yes! - turned out it was an art installation, which tells you how much I know....

Take care all.  Lightning is doing some serious agitating for her small lick of half-and-half. Off I go!

• MARGO  Get well soon.  Yes, sorry there is no let up when there are birds and Billy to feed. OH is on bird feeding duties as well as everything else at the moment.

ALAN  All the very best to Hamish, hope op goes well. Dillon just love going to the vet, just another person to make a fuss of him as far as he is concerned. Both Harvey and Fingal were the same.

• Thanks dibnlib little Billy has just been for a feed and some milk and then disappeared into the bushes at the top of my back garden.  Didn't realise he was there until I went out to top up the feeders so he jumpled quite a big wall into the garden at the back of me.  Surprisingly the milk hasn't frozen up today even though the frost never really went.  Will go out again and empty the bird baths in the hope that he is not in the bushes.

Margobird

• Afternoon all ... another bitterly cold day here ... just 1C when I was out a while ago. The snow is not really shifting and is compressed and really icy. I was watching the news before and saw the pictures of the falling snow and more chaos in Scotland...and then the weather man said it was coming our way:-(((

margobird - sorry you are feeling under the weather ... take care when you are outside seeing to the birds and Billy ... especially when your OH is away.

Alan - sorry to hear about Hamish ... hope all goes well on Friday ... good to hear that he likes going to the vet though!

OG - hope you enjoyed your meal out today ... we haven't had a meal out since the bad weather started ... I am getting withdrawal symptoms now! More lovely photographs too.

dibnlib - love the polar bear pic ... and the suggested captions!

AQ - more teenage troubles for you I see ... glad the end is in sight!

Linda - great Monday Smiles as usual. Hope you can manage to get your pic of Tomasz to load eventually.

Has anyone heard anything from Diane lately? Its been a while since she was on ... I hope everything is ok with her and her Dad.

Must go and close the curtains as it is almost dark. There was a very red sunset tonight, and then ominous clouds looming over the sea :-(

Take care everyone.

Joan - avid bird and nature watcher in Northumberland!

Index Thread

• Just catching up again.    Saw that there had been a fair amount of snow again in Scotland and that the roads were bad.  Thinking of you all up there - you are getting it bad!!     Keep warm and as long as you can get supplies in you should be alright.   Here that the weather is going to warm up by the end of the week but don't know how long for.

Woke up to a very frosty morning and the day has been very cold - frost not even going away. More for tomorrow.

Watching the birds on the feeders this morning, had the usual starlings and chaffinches, then bluetit came along and also a coaltit - its great to see them but haven't got a camera with a zoom lense to take photos otherwise I would post some.

Lindybird- thanks for the Monday pics - glad my OH isn't handy. One of those looks positively dangerous.

Lovely to read all about your news.

Annette - you seem to be going through it with your Gch. It seems nowadays that the kids are pretty much the same wherever you are. They just don't want to be bothered with chores.

• Alan - hope everything will be OK with Hamish on Friday.

• At least the kids are enjoying the snow even if the grownups900283671 are'nt

Sorry Annette, getting mixed up on my replies.

AQ- about Gch. Its always nice that you can hand them back to mum and dad and then enjoy some peace and quiet, even though you love them to bits.

• Lynette: That's AQ that's been having "fun" with grandchldren and chores  - mine are messing up too but at least they don't live with us.  :-)

• Good evening.  Had a lovely lunch and a good time shopping (and looking at all the stuff we didn’t want to buy).  Definitely more snow other side of firth and border, and two degrees colder too!  Did various chores after coming home, and fielded phone call to say Solar panels would not be here tomorrow but would “come next Monday”.  “Oh no, you won’t” we said – we shall be out to lunch again!  So now they are coming next Tuesday, which has meant rescheduling all my baking plans, because I don’t know when I shall have power available, and I mustn’t try to tackle too much at one time.  Son also phoned, to say he’s just received his Advent Calendar!  It was too large for his letterbox so, instead of leaving a card and returning it to the sorting office for collection, postie had put it through letterbox of museum next door, which is closed for winter!  Luckily someone went in today and found it, and another letter for him which had also been there a week!  He had been busy digging out his car today.

Have had a quick read today, but will leave any replies till less tired in the morning.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!