WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 2020

Hallo all!  Hope Friday 13th was uneventful (we still have 7 hours to go here).

Here's to a good new week for everyone.

• Boris is very quiet, and didn't like his previous owners other dog, Dora, as she bullied him and bit his leg because she was jealous of him. But he gets on fine with other dogs including Sue's son's pooch, who often spends the day with her. So happy all round.

I sent congrats and may go buy him a Christmas present!
  • Jack Sprat & his wife! The agreement was that I prepare the washing and OH hang it on the line. By the time the wash was done he had forgotten his task. I can’t watch; he is so painfully slow; he began by hanging the small things on the outer rounds – we have a rotary clothes line – he’ll have to duck find space for towels. . . If I was on my own I would just chuck things anyhow over the line as it is a calm day, expecting 36 C and drying will be no problem.
  • Just a thought

Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It’s already tomorrow in Australia. (Charles Schulz)

• A visit from my hanger-upper. A few drops of rain. Only a quarter had been hung and now he is transferring the wash to the line in garage. Where it won’t fit. I suggested he may want to return as a housewife in his next life. Response unrepeatable.
  • Llindybird:  Aha!  Smart Boris!  But  you mentioned The Life of Pi as being "Marmite."  ?????

AQ: Painfully slow?  I know the feeling.  Wish I were there to sort things out.  But a visit from a 'hanger-upper'?  I think I need yet another translation.....

I think I've got everything anyone could possibly need/want over the next week.  Do not want to go anywhere near a store .......

• Heather B said:
    Cold here, also, early this morning only 1° but warming up nicely.
    Sorry, DIANE, that you have had high winds and power outages. I hope that you have been able to do your work etc.

Thanks, Heather. I don't have any work to do. My contracts were terminated in June due to the coronavirus. I was working for two national nonprofit organizations, and they had to end the contracts of their freelancers because of the economic collapse here. So, I am unemployed.

I'm still fighting for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), a government program that provides unemployment benefits to freelancers, independent contractors, gig workers, etc. who lost their jobs due to Covid.

• Diane: I was wondering what was going on with your freelance work. Is the PUA part of the original CARES act? I heard that the federal unemployment benefits (for those who got them) ends at the end of the year - and of course there's nothing on the horizon in terms of another program. Any resolution to getting those benefits in sight? And is there any money left? I hate to think how you're managing.....
  • That's tough DIANE. I hope red tape resolves for you soon.

ANNETTE - Hanger-upper = he who was hanging up the washing. BTW It has not rained a drop since the "sprinkle".. It has been overcast, grey, humid and temp has passed 38 

• ANNETTE: Yes, PUA is part of the Cares Act, and it will end on December 26. I've been filing my vouchers every week, so my benefits will be retroactive IF I can get approved by then. I'm working on it. I may have made some progress. Thanks for your concern.

If the politicians don't extend the program, I may be forced to go ahead and sign up for Social Security. I hate to do that because I can't collect my full benefit unless I wait until I'm 66 (I'm 63 now). So, I will have to accept a lesser amount. (UK folks: Social Security is our government pension program that we pay into throughout our working lives.)