Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 8 November 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe, healthy, and joyful week! Peace and comfort to all who are facing adversity. 

Be sure to check back to last week's thread to read Lindy's wonderful poem and other posts!

Stay strong, friends!

Florida Sunrise 
Photo labeled "public domain" (copyright free)

• Hi all, nice to read what you have all been up to.

OG - sorry to hear you have not been well again but hope you are now improving. Do hope that J can get the treatment that he should be entitled to and that your audiology appt , rearranged, goes ahead ok.

We are dealing with an influx of mice and so far have caught 8 over the last 4 days with humane traps. Unforfunately one was dropped and has broken so have sent for 2 more. We will put them out tomorrow, bait is peanut butter which they seem to like. We release them on our local wreck away from the house.

Made Christmas cakes last weeken, now have to feed them for a fortnight with more brandy and then can marzipan and ice. Always do one for son as he likes CC.

Once Dau's b'day is over, towards end of this month, then will consider writing cards. Thinking of doing vouchers for the family as we're not sure if we will be able to visit depending on what happens after this latest lockdown..
  • Calm after the storm this morn. Last night about 9 pm we had a very loud & exhilarating thunderstorm; flashes & rumbles so close I could hardly count between them. It lasted at least 20 mins. OH slept through it as he was “watching” TV. He went to bed and tells me he did not hear the repeat performance at 11 pm. Very little rain. Rumbles continued through the night and today . . . blue sky & calm. Sadly lightning lit many grass fires across state, most now under control, but a warning for our summer.
  • The problem with a life spent reading is you know too much. (Josh Lanyon)

I find television very educational. Every time someone turns it on, I go in the other room and read a book. (Groucho Marx)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

• Lindybird:  A nine-year-old washing machine sounds new to me!.

Lynette:  Like the sound of feeding Christmas cakes brandy for two weeks  My Mom used to mix sherry, sugar and butter (I think) to top her Xmas cakes.

AQ; How to some people manage to sleep through all that noise?  Do hope Oz doesn't have a repeat of those awful fire - there'll be nothing left to burn.

More sorting out today.   Friend is coming  up from LA next weekend;; daughter will be here for TxGIving and hints from grandson that he'll be here too.  

• Hi to all
    Glad you are better, OG. I take it that you and EE are getting deaf?! I'm the same, did an online hearing test which only confirmed what I ready knew. One of the benefits of living alone is that I can have the volume on TV and radio adjusted to my liking....ditto phones.
    It's a lovely bright day here. Eldest daughter is collecting me later for shopping, then we shall bring lunch back here.
  • Hi, late on parade.... overslept and only got up an hour ago....
  • Enjoy your shopping and lunch, Heather.
  • Oversleeping is a bonus of retirement, LINDY! It was,quite funny here this morning. I woke at 5 after a poor night, then after a few hours reading, drifted off again. The sun was shining and I was quite disoriented when my eyes opened. I thought it was about 2pm but it was only 9am!
  • LINDA - pleased to see Man fixed washing machine. Well done getting some extra sleep - you must have needed it.

LYNETTE - I hope your mice will be happy in their new abode - are they (like ours) Wood Mice? Of course, if they don't like it, they may reappear! We have decided not to remove ours for the moment and enjoy watching them scuttling about - still only two of them.

AQ - they sound like serious storms, especially being dry so the lightning causes fires. Do hope Oz won't get a summer of fires like last year. Like reading jokes - especially the Dog!

ANNETTE - you are always so busy with trips and guests! Enjoy the upcoming visits.

HEATHER - I've always been a bit deaf due to persistent childhood ear infections. OH has gone gradually deaf. His hearing aids had to be recalibrated as he has got worse. Not sure , but probably I will be having new ones. Enjoy your shopping and lunch with your daughter,

J is going to have a fitting of his new glasses this morning. After lunch, we have the kitchen designer coming - I have done sketches of our preferences - much of it as before, with a few tweaks, But for some parts we are hoping for useful input from him.