Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 November 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH! 

I hope everyone enjoys the Full Blue Moon! The second full moon in a month. 

Be safe and healthy all! 

Stay strong, friends. 

• Thank you Diane! Fasten your seatbelts on Tuesday.
  • Annette: I'm really afraid, and I don't scare easily. 

The ICG (International Crisis Group) has issued an extraordinary first-ever report warning of violence and dangerous conditions surrounding the U.S. election next week. The ICG normally researches risk factors in developing and/or war-torn countries. This alert for the U.S. is unprecedented, and it means the world is very worried. So am I. 

The actual report, called "The U.S. Presidential Election: Managing the Risks of Violence," labels the election "potentially dangerous" and is HERE. From the report: "Beyond the implications for any Americans caught up in unrest, the election will be a harbinger of whether its institutions can guide the U.S. safely through a period of socio-political change. If not, the world’s most powerful country could face a period of growing instability and increasingly diminished credibility abroad." And, "Americans have not in living memory faced the realistic prospect that the incumbent may reject the outcome or that armed violence may result."

This report is a factual resource for people who need to understand what is happening here.  

• Oh dear, Diane, that sounds grim! (And I have not yet read the article--only your post!) Fingers crossed...

Kind regards, Ann

• Thank you DIANE for starting us off. The media made a big thing of Blue Moon + Halloween. But it only matched in West Aust because of time zones. Our papers & TV are analysing & predicting and it is just simply scary, whatever happens.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those going into further lockdown in England. If it is any comfort, the virus can be beaten down; Victoria has done so after months of lockdown. They had another day of no new cases and no deaths. As for the US, I cannot comprehend how the medical & scientific expertise can be ignored when new case numbers are soaring. Please please take care. {{{HUGS to you all}}}

Lovely spring day, sunshine and the weeds are waving to me. My “Mighty Red” tomato is shooting up and needs a longer stake. The other new (to me) variety is sort of growing. The new leafy greens have not been eaten by snails or slugs. Last year’s leafy greens are trying to go to seed.

Next Tuesday’s big event is the “race that stops a nation”. No, not that race. I refer to the Melbourne Cup. A public holiday in metro Melbourne. The rest of Australia downs tools to listen at 3 pm, most workplaces run cup “sweeps”, ladies dress in their best & go out to lunch. But this year it is very different - no spectators, not even owners. Will the horses be fazed? And as for that other race, with time differences, we DownUnder shall be watching on Wednesday.

• Don’t compare yourself to others. Be like the sun and the moon and shine when it’s your time.

Nothing can dim the light that shines from within. (Maya Angelou)

It’s not all sunshine and rainbows, but a good amount of it actually is.

• Evening all: A discombobulating day. Floor guy showed up at 8 a.m.; left at 9;30. I piddled around doing not much until haircut at 12:30 (note to self: Do no make appointments for middle of day). Home to harrumph about and not accomplish much. Not a single trick or treater anywhere and not a hint of any about in the neighborhood.

AQ: Maybe I'll tune into the Melbourne Cup.....
  • Good Morning. Waking up to a new month, a new thread on here, and a new situation in our neck of the woods!

AQ - The Melbourne Cup is famous even way over here. A shame there can't be the usual fashion parade.

Annette, At least you got the flooring sorted out. You sound tense, ahead of your big election coming up, and no wonder. Ah well, what will be, will be, I suppose. I just hope that things don't get violent. Diane, thinking of you.

Cloudy here but no rain yet. Things should calm down this week, weather wise, but then it will get much colder than the mild weather we've experienced of late.

Off to attack the card writing again, and the jigsaw which has been neglected lately.
  • Ps No Trick or Treaters here, either.
  • Still blowing a hooley here. Like Lindy I will do 30 mins of jiggie before (hopefully) taking Benson for his walk. Rain is threatening, so who knows!
  • Well, Boris has done it. It will only be effective if people from south stop coming to drink and party here, shop at Gretna Gateway and travel through our area. We must have a UK-wide strategy – or close the border. Sorry to repeat this, but it is the way I see it, as before! There are people out there spoiling it for everyone else. I also back the teachers who are asking for extra protection while schools remain open. I see every child as a potential mini-spreader.

Okay – rant over.

DIANE – thanks for the new week. Fasten your seatbelts, batten down the hatches and sit tight. The world is scared – it was bad enough last time, but now we have had four years of the Orange Pumpkin we can see how much we need to get rid of this toxic regime. We don’t even know when we shall get a result as , if he appears to be losing, he will have to be forcibly removed – kicking and screaming.

ANNETTE – I agree about lunchtime appointments – they interrupt the whole day. Hope you are pleased with the floor joins now, and that Sunday will be less discombobulating.

LINDA – very windy here, building up to the next storm, but no rain yet this morning. Sounds very calming to be planning cards and jigsaw.

DIBNLIB – I hope Benson will decide to have a walk – you must tell him it is required for your good as well as his!

Off to do … I don’t know what! OH is busy with Sunday lunch – got some “real” brussels on the stem yesterday – looking forward to them with beef. It is a new greengrocer on the High Street, hope it lasts as previous one turned into mostly a pie and convenience shop.