Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 18 October 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe, healthy week with moments of joy and contentment!

Stay strong, my friends. 

Some of you may like this Facebook post from Dr. Sharon Blackie, Irish psychologist and mythologist. HERE

• Ann, you came on while I was writing the above. Thanks for putting the link.
  • CLARE I do hope you get to Snettisham to see this wonderful sight. WE are constantly open mouthed at the moment, just watching the amazing sight of the geese flying over. Isn't nature truly awesome!!
  • LINDY Can you tell me which jigsaw you are doing? I may be able to look it up on line. I started a new one 2 days ago, It is a Jan van Haasteren 1500 pice entitled "Highland Games". A friend passed it on to me and as she never does a jiggie twice it is mine to keep if I wish.

My OH has varnished the front door this afternoon. It is a week ago that we had our windows replaced and since then he has been painting all the inside sills and cleaning the old windows. What a difference. I have never been any good at cleaning windows. If anything they usually end up worse than when I started, so I am glad it is not up to me.
  • Morning all:

Gardenbirder:  Indeed, if u-no-hoo is voted out, he'll be even more insufferable.  (I was going to say 'How much worse could it get?' but I've been saying that for years and it keeps getting worse...)     Incidentally, I typed your name as Gardenburger - a veggie option?   :-)

AQ:  I meant to say those rainbow lorikeets are spectacular!

Lindybird/Gardenbirder:  Thanks for the info/link to the Knots (I had to Google knots).  Wish the video was longer...

Have been catching up with stuff here; drizzle this morning, but wonderfully cool.  

:  

• Annette, Most of the amazing photos of enormous flocks of waders we've seen since we began birding here were taken at Snettisham. It is an amazing place but only at certain times of year and although we have been there it was at the wrong season and we've only seen those flocks in snaps and videos. However, the older we get, more and more of our bird watching will be like that anyway, along with telly programs, of course. My fingers are crossed that the virus thing ends before we become too decrepit to go out again, particularly if there is actually an active Osprey nest near Poole Harbour next summer. Tempting to book a holiday cottage there for a week in the summer now, before the rush, should there be a vaccine.
    As for u-no-hoo, he is and will be insufferable no matter what happens. I just hope he does not have another 4 years, though I'm stealing myself for that possibility again, considering the weird electoral college system. Almost makes me think about some of his predecessors, "Come back, pleeese! All is forgiven!" Gratifying that some main-stream Republicans have turned against him. I also hope he loses the popular vote by more than twice what it was the last time; it was something like 3 million votes. Not surprising he never mentions that fact--probably considers it is fake news and/or fraud.
    Apologies to anyone who wishes I'd kept my views to myself--sorry--I expect we all look forward to November when, with any luck, there will be an end (of some sort) in sight!

Kind regards, Ann

• Dibnlib: I'll go & photograph my jigsaw box -- it's more difficult because it's holographic.
  • Well, it's a start.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.