Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 18 October 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe, healthy week with moments of joy and contentment!

Stay strong, my friends. 

Some of you may like this Facebook post from Dr. Sharon Blackie, Irish psychologist and mythologist. HERE

• Annette, I agree--should be thrown out. But even if he loses in November, unfortunately, he'd still have until the 20th of January to ruin anything he hasn't already succeeded in ruining and I believe he's enough of a...(well, I won't say or I'd be banned if I did!) to do exactly that.

Kind regards, Ann

• The eucalypt next to us was full of squawking birds, flying back forth so quickly I could not see what they were, only a flash of colour, Then, as we were readying to go home I captured this one.

They were rainbow lorikeets feasting on the gum blossom.

As I walked back to my car, I spotted 2 coots, each with her chick.

That’s all, folks

• Minds are like parachutes – they only function when open.

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory. (Rita Mae Brown)

People will believe anything if you whisper it.

• No wonder I'm happy, then --- my memory, which has always been faulty, (thanks, Mum - hers was terrible) is now worse with each passing day. I asked my OH where he thought the instruction book for the freezer was, and he said he would look for it. I wanted to check that all the flashing lights were the right ones! After a while, he appeared with it. It had been right on the top, and as that's extremely high, no wonder I couldn't see it. But I must have put it up there in the 1st place..... no memory of it!

We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch, having good old fish & chips each. I asked for the "small" plateful and was glad I did, as when it arrived, it was huge! My OH struggled manfully through his Large plateful. Afterwards, I was too full to even have a cup of tea when we got home. A very small cheese sandwich late tonight!

Love the lorikeets, AQ. So colourful. Bet they're really noisy.

Just had to add "lorikeets" and "manfully" to the dictionary.....this tablet is very uneducated... .
  • Unknown said:
    Annette, I agree--should be thrown out. But even if he loses in November, unfortunately, he'd still have until the 20th of January to ruin anything he hasn't already succeeded in ruining and I believe he's enough of a...(well, I won't say or I'd be banned if I did!) to do exactly that.

If it helps, Ann, I find describing him as a complete knob works on most sites (but not the BBC).

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good Morning. Dull but dry here again.

Going to walk into the town this morning to pick up a parcel. It's a cute little outfit with penguins embroidered on the front, for Rosie. I already bought her brothers their usual Christmas sweaters from M&S which were delivered the other day. Hoping to get down to see them all at some point in November to give them to them, with their Advent calendars.

My OH has been rather a grumpy old man recently, I think the situation is getting to him. He should enjoy getting out and about today though, as already at the golf course and going off to the allotment later to pick what will be the last of the green beans.

Meant to say about two days ago that there was a good article on the BBC Site about the huge (huge!) murmuration of Knots in one part of the UK. Very beautiful to see, thousands upon thousands of them in record breaking numbers.
  • Lindybird said:
    Meant to say about two days ago that there was a good article on the BBC Site about the huge (huge!) murmuration of Knots in one part of the UK. Very beautiful to see, thousands upon thousands of them in record breaking numbers.

Good morning, Lindy.  The knot murmuration is at Snettisham in Norfolk - we're hoping to get there as soon as time and the weather allows.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Lol, Clare, That's not a usual word in my vocabulary, although I did consider borrowing your term of armhole!

Kind regards, Ann

• For anyone interested--here is the link to the Snettisham Knot flocks item on BBC news:
    www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-england-norfolk-54592215

Edit:  Be sure to watch the video.

Kind regards, Ann

• Ah, thanks, Clare. Didn't have the time to go back and see where in the UK it was. Hope you can get to see it, it looked pretty mind boggling.

It looked very dry here, but when I came out of the shop it began to do that fine drizzle which makes you very wet. I had no option but to trudge home wearing just a fleece jacket & no hat. Never mind, I hung everything up when I got in, and had a naughty cake to look forward to for lunch, as I'd bought two cherry slices in Waitrose :-)

Not done much of the jigsaw as been busy, but it does look very difficult and my OH said "you won't finish it!" as he had had a go and found it frustrating. We'll see.